[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration and Biological control of invasive species by import of alien species Fw: NEWS: Invasive Saltcedar Triggers Lively Debate

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Aug 25 18:38:16 CDT 2009

APWG:

I have [[inserted thus WT]] my comments in response to Dr Lair below. I appreciate his sentiments and generosity in sharing information. I hope the APWG community can pursue this discussion objectively and effectively. I, for one, am not arguing "against" the beetle, and certainly not "for" ignoring Tamarix infestations. For something as frustratingly widespread as Tamarix, it is little wonder that there is a heartfelt desire for a "silver bullet." I certainly hope the bug is the solution, but I still would like to see more than generalized promises from the experts.

Despite a history of failures (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result), I believe the primary reason lies in inadequate methodology, not "competitiveness" when it comes to restoring infested sites to indigenous species. Tamarix always will be with us, but it doesn't have to be accepted as a dominant species in areas where indigenous species have the right conditions to thrive. Consider the fact that, while Tamarix is a tough species well-adapted to certain kinds of extreme environments, many indigenous species also are tough species adapted to the same environments.

A little paradigm shift might be useful.

I refer all to my original post.

WT