[APWG] Utah petri dish tests

Addsum-Tony Frates afrates at addsuminc.com
Sat Aug 15 23:17:55 CDT 2009

Craig and others:  thank you for this dialogue.

To in part answer your questions Craig, see this image, taken today:

http://www.unps.org/olyhills/secalearea081509.jpg

So this is in the Salt Lake valley foothills on the east bench, elevation approx. 4,880
feet, photo is looking basically to the south, so this is an open northish facing slope.
(Secale cereale seems equally happy on different orientations/slopes.)

There are much worse i.e. more  dense stands than this along the central Wasatch
Front, but this example will do and it would be a good place perhaps for a test plot.

So as you can see, there are some native plants nearby but soon the cereal rye
spreads everywhere and will surround and grow up and around the shrubs/trees and
into the oak as shown here (and essentially crowds everything else out):

http://www.unps.org/olyhills/secaleinvades081509.jpg

(this picture is in fact in the area "above" the first annotated picture)

So to answer your question, near the monoculture are a few Indian ricegrass (Utah's
state grass!), a few Sand dropseed, and a larger number of Western wheatgrass
(which tends to form large stands).   Not far away there are also several other native
grass species including Bluebunch wheatgrass,  Needle 'n thread, Purple Three-awn,
Sheep fescue and Great Basin wildrye (and of course a number of other non-native
grass species as well).    And there are a few areas where these grasses dominate
and the Secale cereale is to some degree being held at bay.   The most dominant
grasses in the immediate area is Sand dropseed (at least some of which might have
come in through prior reveg/restoration efforts so I don't know how "pure" it is)
followed by Western wheatgrass and Bluebunch wheatgrass (some of which may
have been introduced).

Linaria dalmatica is a problem and grows near/at the top of the area depicted but is
being somewhat held in check through regular hand pulling (like the cereal rye, it will
grow into the Gambel's oak and becomes difficult to remove other than early in the
year).  So the bigger concern in this particular area is the cereal rye.

So, focusing on the cereal rye:

Concerning the alleopathic properties of cereale rye, I mentioned that simply
because it would seem that might thwart seeding/seedling efforts (?).

Today I collected some seed from all the available native grasses in the immediate
area (too late for Indian ricegrass).

So:

(1)  How big of a test plot do you suggest?

(2)  And within the test plot, how exactly and when would you recommend that the
seeds be planted?   And plant those without attempting to remove any of the cereale
rye?   Include Great Basin wildrye in the mix?    While easy to remove, a clump of
cereal rye once pulled does leave a pretty big divot and because cereal rye fruits are
heavy, that probably makes for a nice spot for new cereale rye plants to grow in.   Or
plant the native grass seeds in holes left by removed clumps or perhaps that is a
variable to experiment with?

Thanks again, and thanks to Wayne and others for this ongoing discussion.

Tony