[APWG] APWG Open Discussion Re: Fw: Ecosystem restoration and alien species eradication Re: Performance standards to get weed-free and 100% native

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Aug 14 11:47:18 CDT 2009

Honorable APWG Forum:

The so-called "laypeople" and "amateurs" seem to have the essence of the issue pretty well wired sometimes. I don't think it is ever useful to think or discuss in terms of status or authority. I have learned from all sorts of people. The essence of all intellectual enquiry the integration of diverse ideas that persevere on the basis of their merit, not on the basis of the author's reputation or claims to authority.

I think that the key is to be open to different observations and ideas, and discuss each one frankly and openly. I think all participants in an open discussion like this have an obligation to respond to the specific central issue raised by each other participant with responses being addressed to the Forum, on-list. I am sometimes baffled that some responses do not respond to the essence or specifics of the post being responded to but are off-point or vague, but I accept that as the poster's prerogative--it doesn't "bother" me.

I am encouraged to find a number of responses to recent posts on the subject of ecosystem restoration and alien species eradication. Perhaps some of the related subjects deserve their own discussion, and can be labeled according to relevance after the main subject for purposes of organizing the discussion. Later, I hope that all of the related discussion can be re-integrated into the general topic.

WT