[APWG] Ecosystem restoration essential to retain alien species at minimal levels Re: Getting 95% weed-free & 95% native cover in 90 days or less

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Aug 11 22:47:29 CDT 2009

Craig, et al:

I'm looking forward to others weighing in on this discussion. While Craig has some very interesting things to say, and he has stimulated me to again think harder on this subject, I hope this doesn't become just a tennis match between the two of us.

Mowing before seed-set is a reasonably good practice in some contexts, it may not always be practical (e.g., 2:1 slopes, etc.). Once a site has been dominated by weeds for a year or two, not to mention decades or centuries, there is a considerable buildup of dormant seeds in the soil's seed bank. Mowing can't get those, nor can it get all of the standing crop. Then there's the issue of the thatch/chaff, post-mowing regrowth, and other specifics that raise questions. I'm really looking forward to the possibility of seeing at least one project next month, when I will be traveling up the CA coast into Oregon, thence through much of the Intermountain West.

I am delighted to hear about Craig's and Anita's projects, and hope that others will post information about other ones. Also, I would like to hear from more list subscribers on whether or not they agree with Craig's (and my) claims that weed eradication without restoration is futile.

Not only that, but the vital importance that such treated sites must self-sustain rather than be continuously treated for eternity. It's kinda like Ben Franklin said when he and the other signers left Independence Hall and a man shouted, "Gentlemen--what have you given us!" Franklin responded, "Liberty--IF you can KEEP it!"*

Best to you all,
WT

PS: That applies to weed eradication and ecosystem restoration too--semper vigilans may be a requirement, but constant maintenance should not be--if the "constitution" is sound in the first place. Not to say that a little tweaking might not be useful after the emerging vegetation (and perhaps some animal species) has had a chance to become strong enough for the kind of traffic the tweaking (planting, for the most part) might require.