[APWG] Maryland, 2007, Report on the Progress of Invasive Plant Control Program RE: Invaders

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Sat Sep 13 21:27:22 CDT 2008

Last May it took one person only five 8 hour days to hand remove

all invasive plants for 100 acres of Swann park. This included all

specimens of both juvenile and adult garlic mustard.

"The Director of our local Nature Conservancy told me that he could

spend 90% of his entire budget for the next three years, attempting to

eradicate roadside garlic mustard with the only certain outcome that

he would have to start all over again in 3 years."

He would not have to start over in three years if he spent about 10 %

of his budget in year 4, about 5 % in year 5 and about 2 % in year 6.

Garlic mustard in Swann Park was originally overwhelming in 2001.

A Report on the Progress of Invasive Plant Control Program, 2007

Maryland Native Plant Society, Anacostia Watershed Society and

Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club Habitat Stewardship Committee

Non-native invasive species of plants such as English Ivy, Japanese

Stiltgrass and Kudzu are covering the natural areas that we in the

conservation movement have worked so hard to protect from habitat

destruction, erosion and water pollution.  Just as we are making progress

on wetlands, stream bank stabilization, and endangered species, these

plants from other parts of the world have typically covered 20-90% of

the surface area of our forests, streams and meadows. Many of us

feel demoralized and powerless to combat these invaders that have

few natural herbivores or other controls.

The Maryland Native Plant Society, Anacostia Watershed Society

and Sierra Club are establishing a program to provide local groups

and public and private landowners with several models to draw upon

in the region. We are assisting in developing a major 5 year work

effort at each site to remove massive populations of about a dozen

species. Regular stewardship projects are conducted in all seasons

including winter, early spring, late spring, summer, and late summer.

This high-intensity program is followed by a low-intensity annual

maintenance program to eliminate plants we have missed, plants

emerging from the seed bank, and occasional plants migrating in

from neighboring areas. We announce regular monthly projects

at over 60 sites in Maryland almost all of which were initially started

as a result of on-the-ground workshops conducted by current

MNPS members in Charles County and Montgomery County.

The Nature Conservancy has also conducted projects on natural

areas for many years. MNPS and the Sierra Club sponsor the

monthly projects at Chapman Forest (800 acres), Swann Park

(200 acres) and Greenbelt National Park (1.5 square miles).

They co-sponsor Little Paint Branch Park (150 acres) and

Cherry Hill Road Community Park (15 acres) removals in

Beltsville and Magruder Park in Hyattsville MD (15 acres)

with the Anacostia Watershed Society and provide considerable

assistance to the other projects.

These sites serve as a visible example of what can be accomplished.

The biggest challenge is to ensure that in subsequent years all

the successful projects are carried on by responsible entities.

Our advice to others considering similar projects are to recognize

that restoration of our native ecosystem is realistic but requires an

appropriate level of work effort.

Many of us have done extensive surveys of this area and find that

at least 80% of the natural areas are salvageable with a combination

of mechanical and carefully targeted chemical control and no

requirement for re-vegetation. The natives return on their own

since they initially covered the majority of the surface area. We

remove all the class 1 and class 2 exotic species, typically

5-20 species, because otherwise if you just eradicate one

exotic another one may replace the one removed.

Our policy is to use carefully targeted, biodegradable herbicides

in natural areas, such as glyphosate and triclopyr, that do not

migrate through the soil to other plants. Instead of spraying

invasive trees such as Ailanthus, Norway Maple, and Chinese

Privet we inject concentrated herbicide into the tree either by

basal bark, hack and squirt or cut stump. Seedlings are easy

to hand pull. We wait for wet soil after a rain to hand pull, first

loosening with a garden tool such as a 4 prong spading fork

so the center of the plant rises perceptively. At the 200 acre

Swann Park, where we are essentially in maintenance phase

after 7 years. 17 of the 19 non-native species are eradicated

or nearly so. Only Japanese Stiltgrass and Garlic Mustard

remain serious.

All the methods, techniques and/or findings of these projects

can be used where the initial cover of non-native invasive

species is less than 30% of the total plant cover and adequately

where under 70% cover. At higher percent coverage the

chemical component is more overwhelming and native plant

re-vegetation may be necessary with native species that are

not cultivars and are obtained from the wild or from nursery

stocks originally collected locally in the wild. There are several

well researched species mixes that include 12-16 herbaceous

and shrub species including nitrogen fixers.

Marc Imlay , PhD Conservation biologist, Anacostia Watershed Society

301-699-6204, 301-283-0808

Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,

Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii

Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society,

Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee

for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.

Remember our five year goal: It is considered standard that such

invasive plant removal projects are normally done throughout the

region, the nation, and the world.