[APWG] Why remove invasives?

Michael Schenk schenkmj at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 12:47:18 CDT 2008

Good question that needs discussion.

What would I tell kids?

We won't get rid of all the weeds, it's too big a job. But that patch you just cleared is now a space where the plants which belong there can grow. Can you come back and keep that patch clear of weeds?
If we can contain the weeds and slow down the spread, then there's the hope that some good method of control will be discovered or developed before the weeds take over.

A good control strategy is important if you don't want to keep wasting time. Remove stilt grass from uphill to downhill, for instance, so the seed won't just roll back down. Also, spend effort on the leading edge of the invasion and work inward. Etc.

Mike