[APWG] Why remove invasives

Johnny Randall jrandall at email.unc.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:13:11 CDT 2008

Our approach at the North Carolina Botanical Garden is to prioritize
invasive plant removal and also demonstrate to our volunteers that there
is value and potential for success.  Note - our problems shrink next to
those in Hawaii because of many factors, but there are still many common
issues.

I have attached our in-house (draft) invasive plant ranking and
prioritization schedule for control.  There are other such schedules,
which we reference.  The take home message is to protect the highest
quality natural areas from the plants that present the greatest risk.
The rule of thumb for determining which plants to control is location,
ease of control/access, and potential for success.  But if you are in
triage mode and you have the means - locate and control the individuals
that are producing the greatest number of fruits/seeds that will be
dispersed by birds or wind. (If you have an urban interface where these
and other invasive plants on private property, you must convince them to
remove these species...)

There has also been great success in designating Cooperative Weed
Management Areas for very focused eradication sites and targets.  CWMAs
are agreements among various agencies and groups that generally work
with the help with grant funding.  See
www.weedcenter.org/weed_mgmt_areas/wma_overview.html for more
information....

I have only mentioned a couple of possibilities, but there are many
others....  For inspiration,support, and commiseration - join or form a
local Exotic Pest Plant Council/Invasive Species Council.....

All the best - Johnny

--
Johnny Randall, Ph.D.
Assistant Director