[APWG] Why remove invasives

jmbarr jmbarr at academicplanet.com
Thu Oct 9 11:15:13 CDT 2008

No inspiring message here, sorry.

I am a volunteer who has spent hundreds of hours removing invasives.  I
am increasingly frustrated at the shear waste of volunteers time and
energy in what I fear are exercises in futility.

I would love detailed information on best practices for invasives
control for land managers.  For example, does hand pulling by volunteers
make sense or would professionals with herbicides make more sense?  When
beginning an effort in a natural area, do you start in the center of the
property and work out, begin at a random point and work out from there,
do you try to identify the furthest entry point and work back to the
point of origin, does it make any difference?

Thanks for letting me vent,
john