[APWG] Exotic mesquite in India being converted to charcoal

Philip Thomas (www.HEAR.org) pt at hear.org
Mon Oct 6 16:54:30 CDT 2008

One problem with this approach is that once you create an industry that
depends on a reliable supply of something like this, there are usually
huge pressures to keep it "sustainable"--which defeats the purpose.

Also, it's likely not economically efficient to gather it piecemeal (vs.
plantation-based on a flat field so automated/mechanical harvest is
feasible).

pt at hear.org

--

Hawaiian Ecosystems at Risk project (HEAR) - http://www.hear.org