[APWG] Non-invasive Norway maple

gg lilly pembrokes at ne.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 11:18:39 CST 2008

Hello,

          Yankee magazine has been published in Dublin, NH, since 1935. Its
readers respect the magazine's editors as experts in New England in
different areas, including gardening. The Fall 2008 edition of Yankee
contained a two-page essay by a Boston, MA, resident that extolled the
virtues of the Acer platanoides, the Norway maple growing in her small
backyard. She wrote that urban parks should reconsider growing Norway
maples.

          Disappointed that Yankee printed this essay, I wanted to write a
Letter to the Editor that would reference different sources that
corroborated the negative effect that Norway maple has on native ecosystems.
Since the Arnold Arboretum is in Boston, I contacted them.

          I received the email below and find the answer confusing. First,
why does the Arnold Arboretum state that Acer platanoides might have
"detrimental effects.on native ecosystems"?  Isn't it a foregone conclusion
that Norway maple has "detrimental effects.on native ecosystems"? The
importation of Norway maple was banned in MA in 2006; propagation of Norway
maple will be illegal on January 1, 2009. Norway maple is banned in New
Hampshire. The state list banning Norway maple goes on and on. Where in this
country would anyone even consider that planting Norway maple was a plus for
an ecosystem?

          Norway maples grow as "20 accessioned individuals" at the
Arboretum which makes sense since the Arboretum doesn't accept as fact that
Acer platanoides is invasive.  However, I find that other public and private
institutions, while recognizing that certain plants on their grounds are
invasive, continue to keep them. The usual arguments are that the plant was
planted before its invasiveness was understood or that the plant was donated
to the institution. Does the fact that an invasive is accessioned justify
its continued existence?

          Thank you for your insight.

Grace Lilly

Hello Grace,

The Arnold Arboretum understands your concerns regarding Acer platanoides
and the detrimental effects it might have on native ecosystems.  However, it
is not correct to state that the Arboretum does not have any examples on our
grounds; in fact, we have 20 accessioned individuals. Therefore, we cannot
provide a statement such as the one you were hoping for.

Regards,

Marc Devokaitis

Visitor Education Assistant

Arnold Arboretum