[APWG] NEWS: Conservation Strategies Must Shift with Global Environmental Change

Bill Stringer bstrngr at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Mar 7 07:11:28 CST 2008

Bob, one problem with your C4 thesis is that we have C4 native
species too.  They behave in ecosystems as if they were a part of the
natural evolution of that system, which of course they were.  I have
not seen evidence that the native warm-season grasses, for instance,
have begun to to be invasive problems in response to elevated CO2.

At 04:10 PM 2/4/2008, Bob Beyfuss wrote:
>Hi Bill
>Thanks for posting. These issues are worthy of discussion.
>
>As long as there is international contact between nations there will
>be introductions of pests, diseases and plants that affect native
>plants and animals and alter currently existing ecosystems
>regardless of how diligent we try to be to avoid them and I am not
>saying we should not be diligent in this regard.  There is nothing
>wrong in trying to preserve the ecosystems and the plants that we
>currently enjoy. I guess I question some of the means we are
>using.  Our annual flu outbreaks, which kill many people, are a good
>example of an annual unwanted and unintended "invasive" pathogen
>introduction. We could probably save many lives each year by simply
>not letting anyone into or out of this country.  It is naive to
>think that we can isolate ourselves or our current ecosystems to
>become completely immune to the potential biological threats from
>the rest of the world given the fact that we are a global society.
>
>The question is "What do we do about this situation?"
>
>It seems that one of the politically correct approaches in the case
>of plants is to label them with value laden, emotional terms like
>"alien, exotic, invaders" and kill them using whatever methods we
>want without really knowing the long term consequences of our
>actions or bothering to investigate what the long term consequences
>of the "invasions" may be. It is much easier to justify killing
>things once they have been sufficiently demonized by rhetoric such
>as this. "Wars" are difficult to support without mustering
>appropriate propaganda.
>
>Certain plants labelled as invasive are what are known as C4 plants
>because they utilize carbon dioxide differently and much more
>efficiently than C3 plants. This certainly gives them an edge in
>this globally changed climate with double the Co2. Couple this with
>human disturbance as pointed out by Craig in the original post on
>Yellow Star Thistle that started this dialogue and you start to see
>the root of the problem.
>Craig wrote,
>"The article states that "It pushes out native plants", but we have
>measured just the opposite interaction between the YST and
>natives.YST only grows well, wherever the native understory has been
>completely removed, like it has in 99% of lower elevation
>California.  Wherever you have a good density of native plant
>understory, the YST is never any problem"
>
>  So is YST the problem or is it the removal of the native understory?

ST is now the problem because it reduces drastically the biodiversity
of an ecosystem.  Getting native species back into the site is the
answer to the ecosystem biodiversity problem.  It appears that at
least part of the answer to getting native species back in is
controlling the YST (or saltcedar or cogongrass).

What is your take on the value of biodiversity in natural
ecosystems?  We're not talking about food production ecosystems here.

Bill Stringer