[APWG] Altering is too kind, destroy not strong enough

steveyoung at aol.com steveyoung at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 19:27:17 CST 2008

 Bob, read Doug Tallamy's book, "Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens" and then see whether you will still want to contend that "If a scientist studying any particular ecosystem did not know ahead of time that it was dominated by invasive, exotic plants, it would be impossible for he or she to determine if the plants present on site were native or exotic based on the biology of the plants and their interactions."

 In my opinion, Tallamy makes a strong case that, if you look at the ecosystem level, prominently including the insect fauna, it is very evident when the plants in an area are exotic. My own observational experience has been that many exotic invasive plants tend to show very little insect feeding damage, because our insects are not adapted to feed on them, and of course this is one reason why they are invasive in the first place. Of course there are exceptions, and yes we also have exotic insects that feed on exotic plants; e.g. Japanese Beetles (Popillia japonica) will gladly feed on Porcelainberry (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata), unsurprising since their native ranges overlap and the beetle is adapted to feed on the Ampelopsis. But anyway, read Tallamy for a thoughtful discussion backed by data (he is a professor and chair of the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology at the University of Delaware). In my view, he makes an especially compelling case regarding the impact of exotic invasive plants on birds.

It is difficult for many of us not to be passionate about preserving what we can of what's left of our natural ecosystems, and I will argue that an unnaturally impoverished ecosystem that has been stripped of its native biodiversity is a very bad thing all around. I think this is more than a matter of human judgments and values. We are placing plenty of stress on our biodiversity and ecosystems and I think we have an obligation to do what we can to mitigate major sources of stress such as species introductions. Cheers,

???? Steve Young