[APWG] letter to Yankee Magazine re Norway Maple essay

gg lilly pembrokes at ne.rr.com
Wed Dec 3 22:10:33 CST 2008

 Hi,

Last week I asked this group for help. I wanted to write a letter to Yankee
Magazine complaining about their choice of an essay for their Fall Edition
that extolled the joys of Norway maples and suggested that cities begin
planting them again. The Boston author admitted she knew how invasive the
plants were, but she really liked how drought tolerant they are and how long
lasting their autumn leaves are.

Although the Arnold Arboretum wasn't agreeable to saying that the Norway
maples they grow on their grounds hurt an ecosystem Contributors to this
listserv let me to much contrary information The Arboretum has a plant
policy for their collection that mentions invasives. Once again, I was in
touch with the Arboretum to find how they handle what must be many Norway
maple seedlings spreading over their grounds, but I received no answer to
that question.

>From your viewpoints, I also learned the many different issues that face
institutions who find themselves unwittingly growing alien plants and then
need to decide whether or not to be rid of them. The issue isn't as clear
cut as I had thought.

I even wrote a letter last week to the great scientist E.O. Wilson, the
Father of Biodiversity, and asked him to consider the effect of invasives at
his university. I haven't heard back yet.

I have decided to write the letter to Yankee next week. I'll send a copy for
you to read on this Listserv.

Once again, thank you for your time and help,

Grace Lilly