[APWG] AGREEMENT on EXOTIC SEEDS into natural ecosystems?

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Thu May 24 14:53:17 CDT 2007

Hi Craig
I guess I am a bit nit picking about language that people use. I really do
not know what a "natural" ecosystem is. To me the word "natural" is pretty
much meaningless. After all,  what product isn't "all natural" today.
Madison Avenue marketers cash in on these "feel good" terms as I look at my
"All Natural" High fructose aka corn syrup sweetened beverage with a nice
picture of a strawberry on the label. It contains no strawberry at all. But
it IS "all natural". Arsenic is a naturally occurring substance as is
dioxin, uranium, mercury, lead etc. but not something I want to get too
cozy with.  Sowing exotic seeds that may grow better than native plants may
be bad policy for many good reasons but "biologically wrong" is surely not
one of them since they grow and thrive. They are biologically correct in
this sense. If they were biologically wrong they would not grow at all. One
of the biggest problems in trying to re-establish native plants is that the
environment they previously occupied has been altered substantially and
they are no longer as well suited to that environment as the exotics. Bad
policy is not based on bad biology. I am sure the ecosystems you love are
beautiful as they formerly existed and your concern that they may be
altered forever by sowing exotic plant seeds is sincere and perfectly
legitimate but terms like "biological genocide" are emotional buzzwords
that do not reflect scientific inquiry.
Bob