[APWG] AGREEMENT on EXOTIC SEEDS into natural ecosystems?

Craig Dremann craig at astreet.com
Thu May 24 10:00:16 CDT 2007

Dear Bill and All,

Thanks for your comments on my last message, whose subject was
"Agreement on Exotic Seeds into natural ecosystems?", which I have
rewritten, below.

Perhaps there should be some basic definitions regarding this
conversation:

1.) Sowing of any perennial exotics seeds into a natural ecosystem, is
biologically the wrong thing to do.  Does everyone agree that this is
true?

>From everyone's conversation so far, Patricia DeAngelis message listed
some of the justifications for the Federal government's intentional
sowing of the one million pounds of exotic seeds annually sown by BLM
into natural ecosystems,

And, Bob Beyfuss' messages pointed out, that we need to define the use
of cultivated exotics seeds, and maybe separate the conversation, when
we sow exotic seed on cultivated lands, versus sowing them into natural
ecosystems.

And the proposal that BLM goes "Exotic-Free" by 2011, means that the
agency doesn't sow any more exotic seeds into "Natural Ecosystems"--that
we're not discussing stopping sowing exotic seeds or agricultural crop
seeds into cultivated lands, of course.

Since the purchase and sowing of maybe 50-100 million pounds of exotic
seeds by the Federal government has been going on for at least sixty
years---since at least the days of the first kudzu plantings---perhaps
we need to pull over the seed-wagons, and begin a discussion this year,
of this very important issue---before too many more millions of pounds
of exotic seeds get sown into our "Natural Ecosystems" in the USA?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333.