[APWG] In defense of native habitat...

Chang, David dchang at co.santa-barbara.ca.us
Wed May 16 18:46:11 CDT 2007

Dear Mr. Beyfuss:

Plants can be invasive without malice aforethought, but certainly some
of the strategies they use are "malicious" by human standards - spines,
shading, vigorous growth, allelopathic chemicals.

Denying that plants can be "invasive" is being ignorant of ecology.  A
healthy diverse undisturbed ecosystem is resistant to invasion.
However, ecosystems are not static.  Certainly, humans are mostly
responsible for the transport of species between continents and humans
are responsible for much of the disturbance of ecosystems which allow
plants to be invasive.  But natural processes are also at play - birds
and floods can move species, while fire, flood, disease, drought,
grazing, and now, global warming can upset ecosystems and open up a
habitat to invasion.

Some plants are better at invading than others.  They are far from being
inferior.  It doesn't matter to the plant that survives best, whether it
is native or non-native.  In California's riparian areas, invasive weeds
like cape ivy, (Delairea odorata), Arundo donax, and vinca (Vinca major)
are excluding or suppressing the ferns, sorrels, mugworts, and young
redwoods, pines, oaks, sycamores and willows that otherwise might grow
there.  An oak forest is considerably more complex than a eucalyptus
forest.  I am trying to prevent our own unique habitats from being
overwhelmed by the invasive non-native weed.

We are not banning plants based solely on their origins.  Analysis of
whether a plant should be listed as an invasive weed includes its impact
on the environment and human welfare - whether it increases the role of
fire in the local ecosystem; whether it displaces native plants that
local fauna depend on for food and does not serve as food itself;
whether it overwhelms a habitat; whether it increases the risk of
flooding damage; whether it is difficult to control and contaminates
crops and landscapes; and/or whether it is poisonous, spiny, or blocks
recreational access.

Not all non-native plants are invasive.  Studies have determined that of
1,000 plants that may be imported to the U.S., 100 may be capable of
escaping the garden, 10 may be capable of naturalizing, and only 1
becomes an invasive weed that causes problems for native habitat.

I don't try to eradicate all the non-native weeds in my area.  There are
way too many that are too widespread.  I do try to stop those invasive
weeds that are not well established, I do try to protect and restore
habitat that can be protected and restored, I do try to prevent the
introduction of invasive weeds that do not occur here, and I do have a
strategic plan that prevents the capricious project or "knee-jerk
reaction".

Some of us are probably too zealous and want all non-native plants
prohibited.  Of course, this is not realistic.  I understand the need
for a bigger flower; the exotic orchid; or the fast growing ground
cover.  But I hope that known invasive ornamental plants are not
purposefully used where they can invade native habitat, and I encourage
the use of native plants when there is no need for non-native plants.

Agriculture depends on plants that are non-native.  But crop plants have
been so domesticated over the years that they have a hard time growing
on their own. (There are exceptions.)  We are not asking for watermelons
or even tomatoes to be banned as invasive weeds.  It is "silly" to
equate non-native crop plants with the invasive plants issue.

Of course, your native habitat is not my native habitat.  I, by the way,
am a California-American of Chinese descent who believes that tree of
heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is an invasive weed.  Therefore, I am a
racist?  I think I just defined non sequitur.

Mr Beyfuss, I ask you to reconsider your priorities.  Learn more about
the issue.  Do you support unique natural habitats and biodiversity or
non-native invasive weeds?

In the long run, I won't be around to see whether I have made a
difference.  But in the short haul, I can say I tried.

Respectfully,
David Chang
Weed Management Area Coordinator
Agricultural Commissioner's Office
County of Santa Barbara, California
California Invasive Plant Council Board Member
Www.countyofsb.org/agcomm/wma
Www.cal-ipc.org