[APWG] road construction - create microclimate favorable toinvasive plants?

Karen Adair kadair at TNC.ORG
Tue Jan 23 15:21:29 CST 2007

At the Ohio Invasive Plants Council conference held last week, Dr. Glenn
Matlack of the Department of Environment and Plant Biology at Ohio
University gave a lecture entitled "Are roadsides a red carpet for invasive
plant species?"

I don't have his contact information, but his research might be of interest.

Karen Adair
Northeast Ohio Land Steward
The Nature Conservancy - Ohio Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
[mailto:apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org]On Behalf Of
Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:37 PM
To: ma-eppc at yahoogroups.com; apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
Subject: [APWG] road construction - create microclimate favorable
toinvasive plants?

Hi,

Dr. Lewis Ziska, USDA-ARS Beltsville MD is interested in finding out if
there's been research on how roads and road construction create
microclimate conditions that favor invasive species. If so, he'd like to
hear from you as soon as possible. He's developing a research proposal
related to this topic.

Please see his message below for more information and reply directly to him
at: lziska at asrr.arsusda.gov or call him at 301-504-6639.

Thank you,

Jil

----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 01/23/2007 03:30 PM -----

                      "Lewis Ziska"
                      <lziska at asrr.arsu        To:
<Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov>
                      sda.gov>                 cc:
                                               Subject:
                      01/23/2007 01:53
                      PM EST

Jil:

Just writing to see if I could pick your brain a little.  I am applying for
NRI funds to examine whether road construction per se, results in
microclimatic changes (CO2, N deposition, etc.) that could favor invasives
over natives.  I know roads serve as a conduit for the spread of exotics,
but do they also provide a microclimate that selects for the growth and
reproductive success? (I'm interested in doing this for kudzu).

Anyway, I can find lots of stuff on roads being a way for exotics to
travel, but nothing about microclimate per se.  Do you know of any one who
is
working along these lines?

Lew

USDA Crop Systems and Global Change Lab