[APWG] Is "Rosa rugosa" a potentially invasive plant in NH?

corgis pembrokes at ne.rr.com
Tue Dec 11 12:24:05 CST 2007

    Our NH State Forest Nursery is currently selling "Rosa rugosa" to NH residents for planting in the spring of 2008.
   I know the plant would be invasive (and, no doubt, already is) on our sea coast. However, last year I  tangled with the NH State Cooperative Extension Service when they included "Rosa rugosa" as an excellent plant for New Hampshire in one of their books. They did not include a disclaimer that the plant was possibly invasive for the NH sea coast. The authors of the extension book that included "Rosa rugosa" emailed me that we had too small a sea coast to be concerned.
    My bent is that the plant will eventually become invasive in New Hampshire, whatever the size of our sea shore. I think that even though we have a small sea shore, that it merits protection. My feeling is that our state forest nursery shouldn't sell "Rosa rugosa."
    Am I off target here? Am I concerned for no reason?
    I have found information about the plant's invasiveness in NYC (the Brooklyn Botanic Garden has it listed on their "The Worst Plants for the New York Metropolitan Area" and CT (many sites), but the NH County Extension forester I talked to this week wants more information.
    I have googled "Rosa rugosa" with little success. What I need is added examples of the plant's potential damage to New Hampshire.
    Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you. I'd like to know how much effort I should put into this issue.
Grace Lilly
pembrokes at ne.rr.com