[APWG] Fw: Good news from the nursery industry!

Kat Maybury Kat_Maybury at natureserve.org
Thu Apr 5 15:53:09 CDT 2007

I was so glad to hear of this effort; it sounds like a wonderful
partnership.

Since you mention future assessments, you might want to take a look at
the invasive plant assessments completed using this protocol (it was
co-authored by TNC's own John Randall):

http://www.natureserve.org/library/invasiveSpeciesAssessmentProtocol.pdf

It was designed to be objective and transparent and to, as Ellen says,
get us away from personal opinion.  The completed assessments for degree
of impacts in the U.S. are available at:
http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/

You can search for individual species by name or search by the overall
invasive impact rank (I-rank) by going to Search, Plants & Animals, and
then clicking on the Status tab.  We will have over 500 of these
assessments completed and published on the site by this summer.

One nice thing about this protocol is that, besides indicating which
non-natives are highly problematic, it also tells you which are NOT:
which are Low or Insignificant in terms of their impacts on native
plants and animals (try looking up "Common Lilac").    I think that is
an important aspect in helping to build constructive partnerships with
the nursery industry and others whose businesses could be impacted.

Congratulations and kudos to Meijer stores and the IPSAWG!