[APWG] WEB: Invaders Citizen Science Program

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Mon Jan 23 08:24:11 CST 2006

From: Damon Waitt <dwaitt at wildflower.org>

Speaking of Citizen Science Programs, here is more information about the
Invaders Citizen Science program discussed at the last PCA meeting:

The Invaders Citizen Science Program was developed by a consortium of
Botanic Gardens, Natural History Museums, Zoos, and Aquaria in partnership
with Sea Studios Foundation, National  Geographic and Vulcan Productions
and launched on April 20 when National Geographic's Strange Days on
Planet Earth TV series premiered its opening episode about invaders on
PBS.

The Invaders Program is a campaign whereby volunteer "citizen scientists"
are trained using a specially developed Invasive Species Early Detection
and Reporting Kit. With this kit, volunteers can help detect invaders'
arrival and dispersal in their own local areas. They deliver that
information into a national database and to local regulatory agencies
who can do something about it.  The premise is simple.  The more trained
eyes watching for invasives, the better our chances of lessening or
avoiding damage to our native landscape. The kit has been field tested by
several of the Invaders consortium partners which include Arizona-Sonora
Desert Museum, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower, Missouri Botanical Garden,
New England Aquarium, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, and
Woodland Park Zoo.

See http://www.texasinvasives.org/Citizen_Science/citizen.html and
http://www.desertmuseum.org/invaders/ for program specifics at the Lady
Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

We are seeking to expand the consortium in 2006 to include 4-6 new
partners who are interested in launching citizen-science based early
detection and reporting programs at their intitutions. Please contact me
if you are interested in participating or would like more information.

Best regards,

Damon

Damon E. Waitt, Ph.D.
Senior Botanist
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
4801 La Crosse Ave. Austin, Texas 78739-1702
email: dwaitt at wildflower.org
web: http://www.wildflower.org
phone: 512.292.4200
fax: 512.292.4627