[APWG] [PCA] Seed Exchange Workshop-National Arboretum, Washington, DC- Jan. 28

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jan 6 14:28:17 CST 2006

I hear you!  I posted the information but I have nothing to do with this
event.

We (Plant Conservation Alliance) have an Alien Plant Working Group.
Perhaps one of them knows the organizers or is aware of whether they filter
out the weeds.  I'll cc that listserve so they can respond to you directly.

Thanks for making a good point!
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

             Johnny Randall
             <jrandall at email.u
             nc.edu>                                                    To
                                       Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
             01/06/2006 02:13                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [PCA] Seed Exchange
             Please respond to         Workshop-National Arboretum,
             jrandall at unc.edu          Washington, DC- Jan. 28

Ms. DeAngelis:  I hate to dampen the enthusiasm for celebrating plants,
but is any consideration being given to the spread of actually or
potentially invasive species in this seed exchange?  At the very least
there should be a filter to extract known invasives from the exchange.
Materials, such as state invasive species lists, could be made available
for a more fine-grained assessment for those taking seeds back to their
home state.

We at the North Carolina Botanical Garden, for example, limit our seed
distribution to the southeastern US.

Sincerely - Johnny Randall

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov wrote:

>Overview
>Washington Gardener magazine, the publication for DC area gardening
>enthusiasts, is co-hosting the first annual Washington Seed Exchange
>with the U.S. National Arboretum. This seed swap will be in-person and
>face-to-face. You bring your extra seeds and swap them with other
>gardeners. Everyone will leave with a bag full of seeds, new garden
>friends, and expert planting advice.
>
>When
>On Saturday, January 28, 2006 from 12:30 - 4:00PM. (Foul weather date:
>February 5. Call the USNA at 202.245.2726, if any concern about
>snow/ice.)
>
>Where
>In the Administration Building Auditorium of the U.S. National
>Arboretum, 3501 New York Ave., NE, Washington, DC.   There is direct
>shuttle service from Union Station metro by taking the X6 metrobus. The
>bus operates every 40 minutes. Note that the last bus leaves the USNA
>grounds at 4:56pm.   There are two entrances: one at 3501 New York
>Avenue, NE, and the other at 24th & R Streets, NE, off of Bladensburg
>Road. Go to www.usna.usda.gov/Information/directions.html for the
>driving instructions best for your personal point of departure.
>
>How To Register
>Go to http://www.usna.usda.gov/Education/regform.pdf to print out the
>registration form. If you do not have Internet access, send payment to
>U.S. National Arboretum, 3501 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002,
>Attn: Event Registration, EVSU. Specify "Seed Exchange" and include your
>full address, phone number, and email. Please make checks out to "USNA."
>Registration fee of $15 per person in advance. FONA members and
>Washington Gardener subscribers receive a discount rate of $12 per
>person.   Add a note stating you are a Washington Gardener subscriber or
>FONA member in order to receive your discount.  There is a limited
>enrollment of 125 maximum participants so be sure to register early!
>If there are still spaces left at the event, we will accept payment at
>the door. The on-site fee is $20 per person ($16 for FONA/WG
>subscribers).
>
>If You Have Seeds to Swap
>Please package them in resealable plastic zipper sandwich baggies. Put
>an average of 20 seeds per baggy - more for small seeds like cleome,
>fewer for large seeds like acorns. Then label each baggy with a white
>sticker (such as Avery standard 5160 address label sheets) giving all
>the information you have on the seeds. If known, include the plant's:
>common and scientific names; its soil, sun, and watering needs; and, its
>origins - where and when you collected the seeds. If you don't know all
>the information, that's okay, just try to provide as much as you can.
>
>What Types of Seeds?
>Seed swap categories will include: natives, edibles, herbs, exotics,
>annuals, perennials, and woodies (trees/shrubs). If you can pre-sort
> [...]

posting the message; they are not official opinions or positions of the
Plant Conservation Alliance.

--
Johnny Randall, Ph.D.
Assistant Director