[APWG] [ma-eppc] Microstegium control in West Virginia.

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Sun Aug 20 18:58:38 CDT 2006

Beefsteak plant, Perilla frutescens, is spreading rapidly. Since "This plant
contains

a ketone that may cause a lethal respiratory disease if eaten by cattle. The
essential

oil is used to flavor foods in the Orient, a possibly dangerous practice.
See Science

5 Aug. 1977." *, would it kill deer or would they avoid it?

Marc

 Marc Imlay, PhD
Conservation biologist, Anacostia Watershed Society
(301-699-6204, 301-283-0808 301-442-5657 cell)
Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,
Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii
Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society,
Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee
for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.

*Brown and Brown, Herbaceous Plants of Maryland, 1984, The Book Center,
University

of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, (The Department of Botany)

  _____