[APWG] [ma-eppc-brd] Mystery Shrub

Mincy Moffett Mincy_Moffett at dnr.state.ga.us
Mon Apr 17 09:06:58 CDT 2006

David,

It's not invasive from my perspective.  It can be very abundant (and thick) around old homesites, but it doesn't seem to spread or compete very well outside the homestead setting.

Mincy

J. Mincy Moffett, Jr.
Botanist

Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Georgia Natural Heritage Program
2117 US Hwy 278, SE
Social Circle, GA 30025
Work Phone: (770) 918-6411 or (706) 557-3032)
Cell: (706) 338-9154
Fax: (706) 557-3033
Work Email: mincy_moffett at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "David Lincicome" <David.Lincicome at state.tn.us> 04/10/06 2:28 PM >>>
Does anyone see evidence of this shrub (Bridal Wreath Spirea, Spirea
prunifolia) being invasive?  I have seen it around Tennessee but usually
near current or old homesites.  I can't really say that it is invasive
though.

David Lincicome, Rare Species Protection Program Administrator
Tennessee Dept. of Environment & Conservation
Division of Natural Heritage
401 Church St., 7th Floor L&C Annex
Nashville, TN 37243-0447

Phone:  (615) 532-0439
Fax:  (615) 532-0046
E-mail: david.lincicome at state.tn.us
Website: http://www.state.tn.us/environment/nh

>>> "Bergmann, Carole" <Carole.Bergmann at mncppc-mc.org> 04/09/06 8:08 AM

That is Bridal Wreath Spirea, Spirea prunifolia...A plant from my
childhood...
Carole
http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/ros/spipr/
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/sppr.htm