[APWG] Fw: Announcing the 2006 WSWS Noxious Weed Short Course for Land Managers

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Tue Sep 27 09:02:59 CDT 2005

                      "Melissa Brown"
                      <writemlb at yahoo.c        To:       <writemlb at yahoo.ca>
                      a>                       cc:       (bcc: Rita Beard/FTCOLLINS/NPS)
                                               Subject:  Announcing the 2006 WSWS Noxious Weed Short Course for Land Managers
                      09/13/2005 03:11
                      PM CST

September 13, 2005

Greetings!

The Western Society of Weed Science is announcing registration for the 2006
Noxious Weed Management Short Course for Land Managers. It will be held
April 24th through 27th at Chico Hot Springs (www.chicohotsprings.com)
located in Pray, Montana.

The course was developed for land managers who want to gain a better
understanding of ecologically sound integrated weed management concepts. In
recent years, participation has expanded to include policy makers and line
officers who want a better understanding of the invasive plant issue. Weed
management professionals from throughout the west will conduct the training
program designed to encourage interaction between instructors and
participants. Lab and field exercises, in addition to classroom sessions,
will be used as teaching methods.

Registration for the course is limited, so please REGISTER EARLY. A
brochure describing the course and registration information is attached
(and below). If you need additional information please call or email
Melissa Brown.

NEW THIS YEAR: WSWS will be accepting credit card payment for the short
course through PayPal beginning in October. Please contact Melissa Brown
for more information on how to pay with a credit card.

Best regards,
Melissa Brown [406/558 4568, writemlb at yahoo.ca]
Celestine Duncan [406/443 1469, weeds1 at ixi.net]
WSWS Course Coordinators
PO Box 1385
Helena, MT 59624

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Western Society of Weed Science
               and the  Western Weed Coordinating Committee
                                Present the
                          Noxious Weed Management
                               Short Course
                             for Land Managers
                            April 24 – 27, 2006
                             Chico Hot Springs
                               Pray, Montana

                               Introduction
Noxious weeds are a major threat to wildlife habitat, biodiversity, and
agricultural production in the western states. The ability of non-native
plants to invade diverse ecological sites; their rapid spread on range,
woodland, and pasture sites; and continuing advances in management
techniques makes it important for land managers to understand and use the
most current weed management options available.
The Noxious Weed Management Short course was developed for public and
private land managers that want to gain a better understanding of noxious
weed management. The course supports and teaches ecologically sound
management practices for invasive plants.
Weed management professionals from throughout the West will conduct the
training program designed to encourage interaction between instructors and
participants. Lab and field exercises, in addition to classroom sessions,
will be used as teaching methods. Past course participants have been
enthusiastic about the format. Plan on learning and having fun at the same
time!
                              Topics Covered
   ·        WEED IDENTIFICATION. Hands-on identification of the most
   important noxious weeds in the western states
   ·        BIOLOGICAL MANAGEMENT METHODS. Workshops and classroom
   discussion about current and future biological control agents on noxious
   weeds
   ·        HERBICIDES IN THE ENVIRONMENT. Visual displays and workshops on
   herbicide formulations, mode of action, efficacy, and movement in soil
   and water
   ·        WEED INVENTORY AND PLANNING. Discussion of weed inventory
   strategies and methods including GPS and GIS
   ·        NOXIOUS WEED MANAGEMENT ON RANGE AND PASTURE. Information on
   integrated management techniques for many economically important noxious
   weeds of the western states
   ·        SAFE USE OF PESTICIDES AND APPLICATION EQUIPMENT. Discussion of
   safe and proper handling of pesticides, and use of application
   equipment, including calibration
   ·        DISCUSSION SESSIONS. Discussion sessions on noxious weed
   management plans and invasive plant problems specific to your district
   or forest
                          Location/Accommodations
    The course will be held at Chico Hot Springs Resort, in Pray, MT. (
                         www.chicohotsprings.com)

  For more information or to make reservations contact Chico Hot Springs
                                 directly:
   Phone: 406-333-4933, 1-800-468-9232, Email: chico at chicohotsprings.com

LODGING: A federal room rate of $60.00 per night or standard rack rate if
less than federal rate will be given, but you must provide identification.
A block of rooms has been reserved for the course, but YOU are responsible
for making your reservation.
MEALS: Lunch will be provided on April 25, 26, and 27. Participants will be
responsible for all other meals. The main dining room requires reservations
; however, the Pool Side Grill provides a more casual dining option.
NOTE: There are no other facilities near the resort, and no phones or
television in rooms.

For additional information about the short course contact:
Melissa Brown (406/558 4568 – writemlb at yahoo.ca)
Celestine Duncan (406/443 1469 – weeds1 at ixi.net)
 The course begins with registration the evening of April 24 and ends the
                       afternoon of April 27, 2005.
                               Registration
REGISTRATION FEE: The course fee is $450 per person and includes all course
materials and lunches on April 25, 26, and 27. Accommodations are not
included in the fee. 50% of course fees are refundable up to March 10,
2006. No refund after March 10, 2006.

REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Completed registration forms with full payment must
be received no later than February 10, 2006. Class size is limited to 40
participants and will be filled on a first-paid basis. Early registration
is strongly recommended.

   REGISTRATION OPTIONS: **IMPORTANT: Enrollment is confirmed upon RECEIPT
   of payment only**.
   WSWS will be accepting credit card payment for the short course through
   PayPal online beginning in October. You must contact Melissa Brown for a
   registration number before paying with a credit card.
      ü       MAIL: Print and complete the form below and return it with
      your check or PayPal receipt to WSWS, Noxious Weed Management Short
      Course Registration; PO Box 1385; Helena, MT 59624.
      ü       EMAIL: Complete the form below electronically and return it
      with your PayPal receipt via email to writemlb at yahoo.ca.
      ü       FAX: Complete the form below and send it with your PayPal
      receipt via fax to 406/558 4569.
      ü       PHONE: Call 406/558 4568.
   - - - - - - - -
        2006 Noxious Weed Management Short Course Registration Form

 Part
 icip
 ant
 Info
 rmat
 ion
                           --             -----             ---------
 Full                     |              ||    Da          |
 Name                     |              ||    te          |
 :                        |              ||     :          |

 Last                        F             M.I
                             i             .
                                          -                 ---------
                                         |                 |
                                                            ---------
 Orga                                      Job             |
 niza                                      Tit             |
 tion                                      le              |
 Name                                                      |
                                          -                 ---------
 Addr                                    |                 |
 ess:                                    |                 |
                                                            ---------
 Mail                                      Uni             |
 ing                                       t #             |
 Addr                                                      |
 ess                                                       |
                                          -    ---          ---------
                                         |    |            |
                                               ---
 City                                      Sta|   Z
                                           te |   I
        -------------          ----
 Phon (|       |Fax: (        |    E-mail
 e:   )|       |     )        |    :
       |       |              |

 Pest
 icid
 Appl
 icat
  or
 Rece
 rtif
 icat
 ion
 Cred
 its

 The
 cour
 se
 has
 been
 appr
 oved
 for
 pest
 icid
 appl
 icat
 or
 rece
 rtif
 icat
 ion
 cred
 its
 in
 most
 stat
 es.
 The
 numb
 er
 of
 cred
 its
 earn
 ed
 vari
 es
 and
 must
 be
 pre-
 arra
 nged
 with
 cour
 se
 coor
 dina
 tors
 and
 stat
 pest
 icid
 prog
 ram
 coor
 dina
 tors
 .
                                                    -----------------
 Do                    YES N   If                  |   |YES|   NO
 you                       O   yes                 |   |   |
 hold                          ,                   |   |   |
 a                             are                 |   |   |
 curr                          you                 |   |   |
 ent                           int                 |   |   |
 pest                          ere                 |   |   |
 icid                          ste                 |   |   |
 e                             d                   |   |   |
 appl                          in                  |   |   |
 icat                          ear                 |   |   |
 ors                           nin                 |   |   |
 lice                          g                   |   |   |
 nse?                          rec                 |   |   |
                               ert                 |   |   |
                               ifi                 |   |   |
                               cat                 |   |   |
                               ion                 |   |   |
                               cre                 |   |   |
                               dit                 |   |   |
                               s?                  |   |   |

 Acco
 mmod
 atio
  ns

 Have                  YES N   If
 you                       O   no,
 made                          ple
 your                          ase
 rese                          con
 rvat                          tac
 ions                          t
 at                            Chi
 Chic                          co
 o?                            Hot
                               Spr
                               ing
                               at
                               406
                               /33
                               3
                               493
                               3
                               mak
                               e a
                               res
                               erv
                               ati
                               on.
                               Ple
                               ase
                               res
                               erv
                               you
                               roo
                               ear
                               ly
                               and
                               say
                               you
                               are
                               wit
                               the
                               wee
                               sho
                               rt
                               cou
                               rse
                               .

 How                   Air C
 will                  lin a
 you                    e  r
 be
 trav
 elin
 g to
 the
 shor
 cour
 se?

 Paym
 ent
 Info
 rmat
 ion
  -
 $450
 per
 pers
 on –
 Prep
 ayme
  nt
 Requ
 ired

 CHEC
 (Pay
 able
 the
 West
 ern
 Soci
 ety
 of
 Weed
 Scie
 nce)
 WSWS
 Tax
 ID
 numb
 er:
 87-6
 12-9
 835

 CRED
 IT
 CARD
 (Cal
 Meli
 ssa
 Brow
 n to
 make
 paym
 ent
 arra
 ngem
 ents
 ).

 (See attached file: NWSC06printbrochure.pdf)