[APWG] Fw: [ma-eppc] NZ - "rock snot" - aquatic invasive plant

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Fri Oct 7 14:06:05 CDT 2005

Here's a link to an article with a picture of the algae that is also called
"didymo".
-Jil
----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 10/07/2005 03:00 PM -----

                      Phytodoer at aol.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       ficmnew at mail.afpmb.org, ma-eppc at yahoogroups.com,
                      ma-eppc at yahoogrou         necis at lists.nationalwildlife.org, nwinvasivespecies at onenw.org, isicontacts at tnc.org
                      ps.com                   cc:       (bcc: Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS)
                                               Subject:  [ma-eppc] NZ - "rock snot" - aquatic invasive plant

                      10/07/2005 02:42
                      PM EDT

assuming this is not a hoax - what a name!

Faith T. Campbell
_______________________________

New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz: Regional council steps in to stop 'rock
snot'
       Saturday, 08 October 2005

            © Fairfax New Zealand Limited 2005. All the material on this
page
            has the protection of international copyright. All rights
reserved
                  SEARCH  STUFF WEB    HEADLINES ALERT

                  Regional council steps in to stop 'rock snot'

                  Otago's regional council yesterday moved decisively on
the
                  growing "rock snot" crisis, announcing that it would take
the
                  leadership role in managing the incursion of invasive
algae in
                  Otago.

                  "The council is not prepared to accept that the horse has
                  bolted and just pass on the message to river users that
in
                  affected areas they must ensure that they clean their
                  equipment," said council chairman Stephen Cairns.
                  "We are going step into what we have seen as a void and
take a
                  leadership role in Otago in exploring preventive and
control
                  measures in rivers where it is already present".
                  He warned the council might have to use statutory powers
                  available to it to to ensure that people and equipment
were
                  kept out of unaffected rivers in Otago, particularly the
                  significant tributaries feeding major rivers "until we
all
                  know exactly what this organism is capable of".
                  "We are disappointed Biosecurity New Zealand have not got
more
                  people on the ground," he said. "All we see them doing is
                  monitoring, doing studies and sending out notices.
                  The council was considering controlling the spread of
rock
                  snot by closing down unaffected rivers such as the Dart,
                  Greenstone and Rees.
                  "I know in some areas this sort of move is going to be
highly
                  unpopular. Other areas may be pleased with this outcome.
But
                  this is a leadership issue. We have got to act and we may
take
                  some flak."
                  AdvertisementAdvertisementThere can be degrees of
closure.
                  One option may be to allow those with permits to operate
on
                  the river to continue and the river be closed to everyone
                  else.
                  "This may mean the rivers will be closed over the summer.
We
                  may be looking at a couple of months."
                  Mr Cairns said personally he was in favour of closing the
                  unaffected rivers.
                  A meeting next week involving the council and other key
                  players such as Biosecurity NZ, Fish and Game, and the
                  Department of Conservation (DOC) would discuss control
                  measures.
                  A council policy committee meeting on October 19 will
decide
                  what measures will be taken in the region to control the
                  outbreak.
                  Council chief executive Graeme Martin has proposed
lowering
                  water levels in streams where rock snot is present,
because
                  the algae would have difficulty surviving the warmer
                  temperatures as water levels dropped and the remaining
water
                  warmed up.
                  Biosecurity NZ said yesterday its rock snot survey of the
                  north of the South Island had not found any more rivers
                  affected by the algae.
                  All tests on samples from 110 sites proved negative: the
                  sample from the Buller River only one in the top third of
the
                  South Island which was infested.
                  Surveys in the Turangi, Taupo and Tongariro area -
including
                  rivers highly valued by trout anglers around the world -
                  started yesterday with a survey due to start about
Tuesday
                  next week in the lower third of the South Island.
                  Biosecurity NZ post-clearance manager Peter Thomson told
NZPA
                  that the initial survey programme would cost between
$300,000
                  and $400,000 nationally.
                  "Once we've finished this survey and we'll have a better
                  picture of the extent of spread. We will then develop the
                  management and monitoring strategies," he said.
                  Asked if once the testing had given the Government a
snapshot
                  of the extent of the problem, Biosecurity NZ would leave
the
                  algae to be controlled by regional councils, at their
expense,
                  he said the key was to manage the impact of the organism.
                  "We can either take a central Government role with
national
                  pest management programmes, where we are controlling the
                  entire programme, or we will take a leadership and
                  coordination role of regional council activities," he
said.
                  "If there is any transition (of responsibility, to
councils)
                  we will make sure it is a smooth and managed one".

To Unsubscribe, send a blank email to
ma-eppc-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

For problems or questions about the list, write to
ma-eppc-owner at egroups.com (Messages sent to ma-eppc at egroups.com go to the
whole list.)

 Middle atlantic District of columbia will   Botany book

 Botany 500      Life the science of biology Science of biology

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

       Visit your group "ma-eppc" on the web.