[APWG] EVOLUTION might be the biggest issue about EXOTICS together!

Craig Dremann craig at ecoseeds.com
Mon Nov 1 10:14:51 CST 2004

Dear All,

I have two ideas on naturalized exotics:

1.) Perhaps all exotic naturalized species are in the process of
evolving into new species within their new habitats?

2.) Even more staggering, is that all naturalized exotics may be
changing the evolutionary dynamic of the native ecosystem that they are
now a part of, within 100 years or less?

I found some citations on how introduced exotic plants changed the
evolution of a native species within only 30-100 years, and transformed
part of a native species into a new species:

The papers written by Scott Carroll et al, about the native North
American Soapberry Bugs evolution being impacted by introduced plants
in  EVOLUTION (1992) 46:1052-69,  EVOLUTION (1997) 51:1182-1188, and
EVOLUTIONARY ECOLOGY (1998) 12:955-68.

I'm beginning to believe that these evolutionary issues about
naturalized exotic and their impacts on the world's ecosystems may be as
big an issue as global warming is for world climate change.

Anyone else have any ideas on these two proposals, and are there any
Evolutionary Geneticists on the List?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, California USA