[APWG] Final Review of Fact Sheet on Native Sumacs Invasive in Northern Prairie Habitats

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Thu Mar 4 16:18:35 CST 2004

Hi,

If you are familiar with smooth and staghorn sumac and their occasional
invasiveness in habitats like northern prairies, I'd really appreciate your
review of the final draft of the fact sheet that will be posted to the
Alien Plant Working Group (Weeds Gone Wild) web page in the near future. It
was written a few years ago by Dr. Sue Wieseler who at the time was working
for the Minnesota Dept of Natural Resources.

Smooth sumac (Rhus glabra) is native to the continental U.S. and staghorn
sumac (Rhus typhina) is native mostly to the eastern U.S., according to
Flora of North America. Because they are native species, it's very
important that I be clear about why they are considered invasive under
certain conditions and why they are otherwise fantastic beneficial plants.
I've tried my best to do this but need to know if it is clear enough so
that I don't confuse or steer people in the wrong direction.

I am planning to make separate fact sheets for these two species so that
the native ranges of each can be explained better.

Please let me know if you'd be willing to read the fact sheet and give me
some feedback. I'll forward the draft to you on request.  I'd appreciate a
quick turn-around (by March 19) if possible.

*Lynn Wagner- Thank you for your previous input about this sticky issue!

Thanks very much,

Jil

Jil Swearingen
Entomologist/IPM Coordinator