[APWG] Exotic Invasive Plkants = Cancer?

Craig Dremann craig at ecoseeds.com
Mon Aug 16 09:54:40 CDT 2004

Dear All,

Last November 13th in the journal NATURE,(Volume 426 No. 6963 pg 125) an
article was published:

"Cancer robustness: Tumour tactics. By HIROAKI KITANO
Viewing cancer as a robust system with potential points of fragility
opens up new strategies for the development of drugs and therapies."

That's what I'm suggesting about exotic invasive plants.

Exotic invasive plants appear to spread unchecked like cancers.

So, instead of focusing on using brute force to cut out the cancers
(pulling) or using chemotherapy (herbicides), should we be trying to
find new alternatives, like the "points of fragility"?  If you know the
weaknesses, then those points could be used to invent new strategies and
therapies?

Like the article on cancer is suggesting, what are the exotic plant
tactics that make them appear so robust, and can we discover points of
weakness?  Perhaps instead of spraying and burning in the future, we'll
all be out there Kung-Foo Fighting the exotic weeds?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, The Reveg Edge
Inventing Licensed Ecological
Restoration Technologies since 1972
Redwood City, California
(650) 325-7333