[APWG] RE: [ma-eppc] RE: Killer plant- spotted knapweed poisons rivals- article NYTim es

Michels, Kathleen (NIH/FIC) michelsk at ficod.fic.nih.gov
Tue Sep 9 15:26:22 CDT 2003

Hmm - I can't say that I've noticed many - it is VERY soggy streamside
bottom/wet- land where the earthworms tend to get drowned out. It used the
be packed with Jewelweed and jewelweed is showing up on the rest of the
upland areas of the property where tall fescue turfgrass has been smothered
or removed. But this area remains relatively barren - it had become all
stiltgrass until we tore up part of it repeatedly and herbicided another
part several years ago. Some few violets seem to be moving in and some
Japanese smart weed along with the occasional stiltgrass patch which we grub
out. But that's about it.
-Kathy