[APWG] Any jokes?

Cleary, Ruark Ruark.Cleary at dep.state.fl.us
Fri Oct 3 11:12:06 CDT 2003

Controlling invasive species is no joke. However, the Master, Gary Larson of
Far Side fame, did several classic cartoons about invasive aliens (literal
and metaphorical). These include (captions only):

 1.  A spider standing in a living room holding a letter, reading to another
spider sitting in a chair: "It's a letter from Julio in America....His banana
bunch arrived safely and he's living in the back room of some grocery store."

 2.  Guy, sitting in a bar.  Top half of cartoon, saying to a lady:  "You're
from France?  Wow!  Say..you have lovely eyes!"  Bottom half of cartoon, one
virus talking to some others:  "Hey everyone!  We're going to Paris!".  Under
the cartoon: "Be a virus, see the world."

 3.  Two aliens, in a lab.  On a back shelf, grizzly bear attacking a human
in a terrarium.  One alien says to the other:  "Zorak, you idiot!  You've
mixed incompatible species in the earth terrarium!"

 4.  Two guys unloading a ship with bananas in a net, and some poodles among
the banana bunches.  Under the cartoon: "How poodles first came to North
America."

 5.  "Crossing paths on their respective journeys of destiny, Johnny
Appleseed and Irving Ragweed nod, 'hello'"

 6.  17th century sailors arriving on Mauritius, with dodos reading books,
playing chess, working on formulas.  Under the cartoon:  "Unbeknownst to most
ornithologists, the dodo was actually a very advanced species, living alone
quite peacefully until, in the 17th century, it was annihilated by men, rats,
and dogs.  As usual."

 7.  Indians and sailors, with horses shaking hands.  Subtitle: "Circa 1500
a.d. Horses are introduced to America."

 8.  Hand of God from the sky, ejecting Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden.
One hovering angel to another:  "Frankly, I think we'll regret introducing
these organisms into the environment."

 9.   One doctor to another, standing by a hospital bed supporting a patient
whose face resembles King Tut: "We're pretty sure it's West Nile virus."

10 .  Standing beekeeper to another kneeling by a hive with a small sign in
front of the entrance: "Those are attorney bees. They represent the killer
bees."

11 .  One shepherd to another, in a field of grazing sheep with a woolly
mammoth in the background: "As long as it's woolly I don't ask questions."

12 .  Border crossing into California.  One sign says, "Stop for Inspection."
On the gate is another sign: "No fruits, vegetables, or excess body fat
beyond this point."

13 .  Hillbilly woman calling to her husband outside, wrestling with
kudzu-like vine: "Watch out, Fred!  Here it comes again!"

14 .  Three Martians, standing in a park outside their flying saucer,
smiling.  One says, "My goodness, isn't this a pleasant planet!"

15 .  Another flying saucer, this one in Earth orbit.  Pilot says, "Another
decade or so and it should be warm enough for us!"