[APWG] request: native landscaping policies at colleges and otherorganizations

Lynn Wagner lwagner2 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 10:41:23 CST 2003

Brian,
I knew that Westchester County in NYS had such a policy in place, so I
called them and am going to receive via e-mail the 2001 executive order
mandating the use of natives for all county government plantings. Had a
nice discussion w/the guy. The county has been extremely proactive in
native plantings/restoration and invasive removal. Not sure that the entire
list would be interested in the executive order document, so unless I hear
otherwise from people I will only forward it on to you.
Also, the National Conservation Training Center, a federal facility here in
Shepherdstown, WV has adopted an all-native policy. They are on the web,
just do a google search on the name. If you have a problem, let me know.
I think Virginia now uses only natives in highway plantings (not entirely
sure), and there may be many other states w/similar policies.
Good luck.

Lynn Wagner
lwagner2 at earthlink.net

landscaping policy (for woody species) for its campus. The policy follows
the successful establishment of a one-acre native landscape project that I
initiated in 1995 and years of discussion and pressure from a small group
of concerned individuals. [Project report available at:
http://www.stetson.edu/~rsitler/ERC/native.doc]  To my knowledge, Stetson
is the only university in the country with such a policy.

> As part of a research project I am working on, I am trying to identify
organizations (universities, schools, corpoarations, minicipalities,
counties, etc.) with similar policies. Any information would be
appreciated. Thanks,