[MPWG] Journal Article: Expanding vulnerability assessment for public lands: The social complement to ecological approaches

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Thu Apr 13 10:33:40 CDT 2017

Expanding vulnerability assessment for public lands: The social complement
to ecological approaches
Shannon M. McNeeley, Trevor L. Even, John B.M. Gioia, Corrine N. Knapp,
Tyler A. Beeton
Climate Risk Management, in press
http://doi.org/10.1016/j.crm.2017.01.005

Abstract
In recent years, federal land management agencies in the United States have
been tasked to consider climate change vulnerability and adaptation in
their planning. Ecological vulnerability approaches have been the dominant
framework, but these approaches have significant limitations for fully
understanding vulnerability in complex social-ecological systems in and
around multiple-use public lands. In this paper, we describe the context of
United States federal public lands management with an emphasis on the
Bureau of Land Management to highlight this unique decision-making context.
We then assess the strengths and weaknesses of an ecological vulnerability
approach for informing decision-making. Next, we review social
vulnerability methods in the context of public lands to demonstrate what
these approaches can contribute to our understanding of vulnerability, as
well as their strengths and weaknesses. Finally, we suggest some key design
principles for integrated social-ecological vulnerability assessments
considering the context of public lands management, the limits of
ecological vulnerability assessment, and existing approaches to social
vulnerability assessment. We argue for the necessity of including social
vulnerability in a more integrated social-ecological approach in order to
better inform climate change adaptation.