[MPWG] Spicebush

Michael Schenk schenkmj at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 8 20:56:05 CDT 2012

Thanks, Michael.

I like the flavor of spicebush, using it in curries, rice dishes, desserts.
I have crushed the berries to an oily paste and rubbed them on my wrist for tendonitis and inflammation; it seems to relieve inflammation. (!NOT MEDICAL ADVICE!) Since I have so many this year, I want to try extracting the oil.

Dr. James Duke (ethnobotanist, thegreenfarmacygarden.com ) was kind enough to put together the following essay on spicebush. He cites reports that it is useful in fighting yeast infections, as well as rheumatism.

Cheers,
Mike

******************
Recently updated for 3rd ed. of Peterson Field Guide. Nothin new on PubMed

Updated Dec. 26, 2011 . Nothing New.  Only 3 pubmed citations, like so many
American  herbs, relatively under-studied and -published

    EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINAL CULINARIES
        SPICEBUSH (Lindera benzoin (L.) Blume) +

    TBC [[aK3; C3; A9; G1; s1]]
Ill.:p 113 (left top & btm) BB1                LAURACEAE
SYN.:    Benzoin aestivale (L.) Nees, Laurus aestivalis L., Laurus benzoin
L.
NOTES (SPICEBUSH):

COMMON NAMES (SPICEBUSH): `Allspice Bush (Eng.; BUR); Ascopo? (Algonquian;
AUS);  Benjamin Bush (Eng.; Ocn; AH2; EAS; WIK); Common Pond Spice (Eng.;
AUS); Common Spice Bush (Eng.; USN); Fever Bush (Eng.; BUR; EAS);
Fieberstrauch (Ger.; AUS); Kaáchk'aachkeek (Delaware; AUS); Kvpvpaskv
(Muskogee; AUS); Laurier Faux-Benjoin (Fr.; USN); Natuli (Cherokee, AUS);
Noh?-Da Tli (Cherokee; AUS); Northern Pond Spice (Eng.; AUS); Northern
Spicebush (Eng.; Ocn; AH2; WIK);  Pond Spice (Eng.; AUS); Shábak (=medicine
shrub) (Delaware; AUS); Snap Bush (Eng.; EAS); Snap Weed (Eng.; BUR); Snap
Wood (Eng.; EAS); Spice Berry (Eng.; BUR); Spicebush (Eng.; Scn; AH2; BUR;
CR2; HNI; HOS; WIK); Spicewood (Eng.; Yuchi; AUS; EAS); Wild Allspice (Eng.;
Ocn; AH2; BUR; HOS; WIK);

ACTIVITIES (SPICEBUSH): Abortifacient (f; DEM; EB48:333);  Allelochemic (1;
HOS); Analgesic (f1; FNF; HNI; HOS); Anesthetic (1; HOS); Anodyne (f; DEM;
HAD);  Antiacetylcholinesterase (1; HOS); Antiallergic (1; HOS);
Antibacterial (1; FNF);  Antibronchitic (1; HOS);  Anticancer (1; HOS);
Anticonvulsant (1; HOS);Antiescherichic (1; HOS);  Antifeedant (1; HOS);
Antiflu (1; FNF; HOS); Antiinflammatory (1; FNF; HOS);  Antilithic (1; HOS);
Antimutagenic (1; HOS); Antinitrosaminic (1; HOS);Antiotitic (1; HOS);
Antioxidant (1; FNF; HOS); Antipharyngitic (1; HOS); Antirhinoviral (1;
HOS);  Antisalmonella (1; HOS); Antiseptic (1; FNF; HOS); Antispasmodic (1;
FNF; HOS); Antitumor (breast) (1; HOS);  Antitumor (pancreas) (1; HOS);
Antitumor (prostate) (1; HOS);  Antitussive (1; HOS); Antiviral (1; HOS);
Astringent (f; EAS); Bactericide (1; HOS); Candidicide (1; ABS; HOS);
Carminative (f; FAD; FEL; HOS);  Chemopreventive (1; HOS);Choleretic (1;
HOS); \Circulotonic (f; BOW);  CNS-Stimulant (1; HOS);  CNS-Toxic (1; HOS);
Curaroid (1; HOS); Cytotoxic (1; HOS); Depurative (f; DEM; FAD); Detoxicant
(1; HOS); Diaphoretic (f; DEM; FAD; FEL; HOS); Emetic (f; DEM; HAD; HOS);
Emmenagogue (f; DEM; HNI); Enterocontractant (1; HOS); Expectorant (1; FNF;
HOS); Febrifuge (f1; EAS; HOS); Fungicide (1; FNF; HOS);  Hepatoprotective
(1; HOS);  Herbicide (1; HOS);  Hypocholesterolemic (1; HOS); Insectifuge
(1; HOS); Insectiphile (1; HOS); Irritant (1; HOS);  Laxative (1; HOS);
Myorelaxant (1; HOS);  Negative Chronotropic (1; HOS);  Negative Inotropic
(1; HOS);  Nematicide (1; HOS); ODC-Inhibitor (1; HOS); p450-Inducer (1;
HOS); Panacea (f; DEM); Photosensitizer (1; HOS); Sedative (1; FNF; HOS);
Spasmogenic (1; HOS); Stimulant (f; EAS; EB48:333); Tonic (f; BOW; DEM;
HOS);  Tranquilizer (1; HOS); Transdermal (1; HOS); Vermifuge (f; FAD; FEL;
HOS); Viricide (1; FNF).

INDICATIONS (SPICEBUSH): Ague (f; FEL); Alzheimer's (1; HOS); Amenorrhea (f;
FAD; HNI; HOS); Anemia (f; FAD; HOS); Arthrosis (f1; FNF;  HOS; JAH2:45;
FAD);   Bacteria (1; HOS);Bronchosis (1; HOS); Bruises (f; FAD; FEL; HOS);
Cancer (breast) (1; HOS); Cancer (pancreas) (1; HOS);Cancer (prostate) (1;
HOS); Candida (1; HOS); Cold (f1; DEM; FAD; FNF; HNI; HOS); Colic (f; FAD;
FEL; HOS); Cough (f; FAD; HNI; HOS); Cramp (f1; EAS; FAD; FNF; HOS); Croup
(f; FAD; HOS); Dermatosis (1; FEL; FNF; HOS);  \Dysentery (f; BOW; HNI);
Dysmenorrhea (f; EAS; FAD; HNI; HOS); Dyspepsia (f; HOS); \Enterosis (f;
BOW);  Escherichia (1; HOS); Fatigue (f; HNI; HOS; EB48:333); Fever (f; EAS;
FAD; FEL; HOS); Flatulence (f; FAD); Flu (f1; JAH2:45; FNF; HOS); Fungus (1;
FNF; HOS); Gas (f; FEL; HOS); Gonorrhea (f; DEM; HOS);  Hepatosis (1; HOS);
High Cholesterol (1; HOS); Hives (f; HAD; HOS); Infection (1; HOS);
Inflammation (1; HOS);  Insomnia (1; HOS); Itch (f; FEL; HOS); Malaria (f;
HOS;  EB48:333); Measles (f; HNI; HAD; HOS); Myalgia (f; FAD); Mycosis (1;
HOS); Myosis (f; HOS); \Nausea (f; HOS; JAH2:45);   Nematode (1; HOS);
Nervousness (f; FEL; HOS); Neuralgia (f; HOS; EB48:333);  Otosis (1; HOS);
Pain (f1; DEM; EAS; FNF; HOS);  \Parasite (f; BOW; HOS); Pharyngosis (1;
HOS); Phthisis (f; HAD; HOS); Pulmonosis (f; HOS;  EB48:333); Respirosis (f;
HOS; EB48:333); Rheumatism (f1; FAD; FEL; FNF; HOS);  Rhinovirus (1; HOS);
Salmonella (1; HOS); \Sinusosis (f;  HOS; JAH2:45); Sore Throat (1; HOS);
Spasm (1; FNF; HOS);   Staphylococcus (1; HOS); Stone (1; HOS); Stress (1;
HOS); Swelling (f; HAD; HOS); Syphilis (f; DEM; HOS); Tuberculosis (f; HAD;
HOS;); Typhoid (f; FAD; FEL; HOS); VD (f; DEM; HOS);  Virus (1; HOS); Worm
(f1; BOW; DEM; FEL; HOS); Yeast (1; ABS; FNF; HOS)

DOSAGES (SPICEBUSH): FNFF = !.  Native Americans (Cherokee; Iroquois,
Ojibwa)  spiced strong meat like groundhog and possum with fruits or leaves
of the spicebush. Cherokee and many others made beverage teas, best with
flowering twigs as the flowers add a little nectar. New bark pleasant to
chew. (DEM; FAC) Steep 1 tsp dry bark in 8 oz water one hour in covered pot,
2-3 cups per day (JAH2:35); "The decoction may be drunk freely: (FEL).
o Cherokee  use spicebush for amenorrhea, blood disorders, cold, cough,
croup, dysmenorrhea, dyspepsia, flu, gas, hives, measles, nausea, phthisis,
swellings, tuberculosis. They drink spicebush tea as a spring tonic,
steeping bark with wild cherry and dogwood in corn whiskey to break out
measles (probably also good for cold, cough and malaria). They inhale steam
to clear sinuses, and use  twig decoction to bathe arthritic pain. (AUS;
DEM; HOS).
o Creek use twig tea as anodyne, antirheumatic, depurative, diaphoretic, and
emetic (AUS; HNI; HOS)
o Iroquois use tea for cold, fever, measles (AUS);
o Ojibwa take tea for anemia  and fatigue(HNI)
o Rappahannock take twig tea for delayed menses or menstrual pain (HNI)

DOWNSIDES (SPICEBUSH):Not covered (AHP; KOM; PH2). Stems contain
laurotetanine, a potentially cytotoxic alkaloid.

NATURAL HISTORY (SPICEBUSH): The tangy red berries seem to appeal more to
thrushes and veery thrush , occasionally to catbird, flycatcher, kingbird,
and vireo, and scarely at all by other birds and animals (MZN) Flowers
pollinated mostly by early solitary bees, ladybug beetles and bee flies. To
see the caterpillar of the large green-clouded spicebush swallowtail
(Papilio troilus), check curled leaves or those folded at the midrib, to
temporarily shelter the green resting caterpillar withfour eyespots on its
humped forepart. In winter, after leaf fall, you can spot its angulat
chrysalis fastened vertically to a twig by a looped silken girdle. Another
green caterpllar with red tubercles will become  the promethea or spicebush
silk moth (Callosomia promethea), the blackish males of which fly in late
afternoon. Cocoons of the promethea are spun insided rolled dead leaves an
suspended by tough silken cord. (EAS)
EXTRACTS (SPICEBUSH): Heisey and Gorham (1992; Letts. Appl. Microbiol. 14:
136-9.) found that extract of stem bark of Lindera benzoin ("spicebush")
strongly inhibited yeast (Candida albicans), much better than any of the
other 53 species they studied.

EXTRACTS (SPICEBUSH): Thanks to the work of Tucker and associates (1994), we
know that the leaf essential oil is dominated by beta-caryophyllene (~
15-50%), 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one (~2-35%), and (E)-nerolidol (~10-12%). The
twig essential oil is dominated by 1,8-cineole (~45%), sabine (~7%),
alpha-terpineol (~ 7%), and alpha-pinene (~6%). Fruits are dominated by
alpha-phellandrene (~65%). (Tucker, Maciarello, Burbage and Sturtz, 1994).

That shows the chemical variation in different plant parts. If you were
after a single phytochemcial, you would usually find more beta-caryophyllene
in the leaf essential oil, more 1,8-cineole in the twigs, and more
phellandrene in the fruits. Once we get our database integrated this might
hint at which part of the plant might be better for a given indication.
There are at least four antiyeast compounds in spice bush: borneol, cineole,
limonene and beta-pinene. This suggests, but by no means proves, that you'd
be better off with the twigs for a yeast infection

Coincidentally I am suffering a yeast overgrowth now as a result of
Doxicyclene. In addition to Lactobacillus, I am taking garlic and spice bush
tea from the back yard to curb the yeast.

LINDERA BENZOIN (L.) BLUME
"BENJAMIN BUSH" "SPICEBUSH"
ALKALOIDS  PL XX4427284
ALPHA-AMORPHENE   1 LF EB48:333
(E)-ALPHA-BERGAMOTENE   4 LF EB48:333
BICYCLOGERMACRENE   3 LF EB48:333
BETA-BISABOLENE   11 LF EB48:333
BORNEOL   13-15 TW EB48:333
DELTA-CADINENE   10 LF EB48:333
GAMMA-CADINENE   3 LF EB48:333
CAMPHENE   22-40 FR EB48:333
CAMPHENE   2 LF EB48:333
CAMPHENE   17-26 TW EB48:333
DELTA-CARENE   4-7 FR EB48:333
BETA-CARYOPHYLLENE   60-135 FR EB48:333
BETA-CARYOPHYLLENE   30-100 LF EB48:333
BETA-CARYOPHYLLENE   (15% eo) SH TAD
CARYOPHYLLENE-OXIDE   4 LF EB48:333
1,8-CINEOLE   (10-16% eo) SH TAD
1,8-CINEOLE   315-320 TW EB48:333
ALPHA-CURCUMENE  0.2 LF EB48:333
P-CYMENE   90-135 FR EB48:333
P-CYMENE   0-4 TW EB48:333
BETA-ELEMENE   50-105 FR EB48:333
BETA-ELEMENE 0.5 LF EB48:333
EO 4,140-4,260 FR EB48:333
EO 200 LF EB48:333
EO 700 TW EB48:333
(E)-BETA-FARNESENE   12 LF EB48:333
GERMACRENE-D   3 LF EB48:333
1,6-GERMACRIENE-5-OL   12 LF EB48:333
(Z)-HEXENYL-BENZOATE   0.8 LF EB48:333
ALPHA-HUMULENE   4 LF EB48:333
ISOLINDERANOLIDE  FR JNP55:71
  ISOLINDERENOLIDE  FR XX1602301
ISOLINDERENOLIDE  FR JNP55:71 XX1602301
ISOOBTUSILACTONE  FR JNP55:71 XX1602301
ISOOBTUSILACTONE-A  FR JNP55:71  XX1602301
GAMMA-LACTONES   PL XX1602301
LAUROTETANINE    ST TAD XX4427284
LIMONENE   80-115 FR EB48:333
LIMONENE   0.4 LF EB48:333
LIMONENE   9-11 TW EB48:333
LINDERANOLIDE  FR JNP55:71  XX1602301
6-METHYL-5-HEPTEN-2-ONE   (11-16% eo) SH TAD
6-METHYL-5-HEPTEN-2-ONE   4-90 LF EB48:333
METHYLKETOALKENES  PL XX1602301
MYRCENE   170-225 FR EB48:333
MYRCENE   0.1 LF EB48:333
MYRCENE   0-10 TW EB48:333

E-NEROLIDOL   10-28 LF EB48:333
E-NEROLIDOL   (10% eo) SH TAD
(+)-(Z)-NEROLIDOL   FR XX1602301
OBTUSILACTONE  FR JNP55:71  XX1602301
OBTUSILACTONE-A   FR JNP55:71 XX1602301
OBTUSILACTONES  FR XX1602301
(E)-BETA-OCIMENE 36-50 FR EB48:333
(Z)-BETA-OCIMENE 55-75 FR EB48:333
(6Z,9Z,12Z)-PENTADECATRIEN-2-ONE  FR XX1602301
(6Z,9Z)-PENTADECADIEN-2-ONE  FR XX1602301
ALPHA-PHELLANDRENE   2,300-3,135 FR EB48:333
ALPHA-PHELLANDRENE   0.1 LF EB48:333
BETA-PHELLANDRENE   400-545 FR EB48:333
ALPHA-PINENE   125-190 FR EB48:333
ALPHA-PINENE   2 LF EB48:333
ALPHA-PINENE   35-43 TW EB48:333
BETA-PINENE   18-26 FR EB48:333
BETA-PINENE   2 LF EB48:333
BETA-PINENE   24-26 TW EB48:333
SABINENE   5-8 FR EB48:333
SABINENE   0.03 LF EB48:333
SABINENE   41-54 TW EB48:333
BETA-SESQUIPHELLANDRENE   10 LF EB48:333
SPATHULENOL   0.4 LF EB48:333
ALPHA-TERPINENE   4-6 FR EB48:333
ALPHA-TERPINENE   7-9 TW EB48:333
GAMMA-TERPINENE   20-21 TW EB48:333
ALPHA-TERPINEOL 46-49 TW EB48:333
TERPINEN-4-OL   26-29 TW EB48:333
TERPINOLENE   2-9 FR EB48:333
TERPINOLENE   0-2 TW EB48:333
ALPHA-ZINGIBERENE   0.3 LF EB48:333

    SPICEBUSH
    Jim Duke
Approaching retirement from the federal government, I am getting a bit more
uninhibited about sounding off on one of my favorite themes, giving the
herbal alternative a fair shake. Today, I'll just talk about spicebush
(Lindera benzoin), its culinary and folk medicinal uses, and its potential
as a remedy for yeast (candidiasis), an ailment widely mentioned on TV
today..

Spicebush is one of the commonest undershrubs in the forest around my place.
And it has quite a bit of folklore about it. Still I don't find reports on
the chemicals which no doubt contribute to its aromatic, culinary, essential
oil, medicinal, and pesticidal properties. We and the Asians have studied
their species of Lindera while ignoring ours. And some American scientists,
while busy studying alien species of Cocos, Cuphea, and Umbellularia as
sources of lauric acid, ignore this copious resource in our back yards.

Is spicebush a food? Facciola (Cornucopia, Kampong Publ. Vista Ca. 1990)
says:
    "Young leaves, twigs, and fruits contain an aromatic oil and make a very
fragrant tea. The twigs are best gathered when in flower as the nectar adds
considerably to the flavor. Dried and powdered fruits can be used as a
substitute for allspice. The new bark is pleasant to chew."

King's American Dispensatory (Eclectic Institute, Reprint 1984) says:
    "The dried berries were used during the American Revolution and in the
South during the late Rebellion as a substitute for allspice ... The bark,
in decoction, is said to be refrigerant and exhilirating, and exceedingly
useful in all kinds of fever, for allaying excessive heat and uneasiness; a
warm decoction is employed to produce diaphoresis. The decoction may be
drunk freely."
I quote these directly so you, and the FDA, may see that they have served as
tea and spice for years. That puts them in the category I abbreviate GRAF,
generally recognized as food.

In my Handbook of Northeastern Indian Medicinal Plants (Quarterman Publ.,
Licoln Mass. 1986), I mention that the Cherokee Indians used spicebush for
blood disorders, cold, cough, croup, dysmenorrhea, hives, phthisis and
swellings. Cherokee drank spicebush tea as a spring tonic, and steeped the
bark with wild cherry and dogwood in corn whiskey to break out measles.
Creek Indians used the teas for pains of rheumatism, (anodyne
antirheumatic), for purifying the blood (depurative) and making themselves
puke and sweat. (emetic and diaphoretic). Wisely they added willow to
spicebush tea for drinking and using in the sweat lodges for rheumatism. The
drug of choice today is still usually based on salicylates derived from
willows. Ojibwa took the tea for anemia and that "tired rundown feeling".
Rappahannock used the tea for menstrual pain or delayed periods.

To these Moerman (Medicinal Plants of Native America. Mus. Anthropol., Tech
Rept. 19. 1986), in his more extensive survey adds that the Cherokee also
took the tea for hives (sometimes associated with yeast, JAD). Iroquois used
it for colds, fevers, gonorrhea, measles, and syphilis. Mohegans chewed the
leaves or took the tea for worms.

In their Peterson Field Guide to Medicinal Plants (Houghton Miflin, Boston.
1990), Foster and Duke  add that the settlers used the berries as a
substitute for allspice. It's not bad! Medicinally the berries were used as
a carminative for flatulence and colic. The oil from the fruits was applied
to bruises and muscles or joints for chronic rheumatism. The tea made from
the twigs was popular with the settlers (and available all year) for colds,
colic, fevers, gas, and worms. The bark tea was used for various fevers,
including typhoid, and to expel worms.

In all that listing of applications, there's not much folklore to anticipate
that spicebush might be useful in yeast (candidiasis). But maybe the Indians
didn't have yeast. Apparently the yeast is a normal component of the flora
of all human beings.
Maybe cadidiasis is mostly an iatrogenic ailment, induced by our medicines.
Respected naturopaths, Murray and Pizzorno (Encyclopedia of Natural
Medicine, Prima Publishing, Rocklin CA. 1991) say that when antibiotic use
first became widespread, it was noted immediately that yeast infections
increased. White man's alcohol, anti-ulcer drugs, corticosteroids, increase
in diabetes, oral contraceptives, tights insead or cotton undergarments, and
too much sugar in the diet all may have contributed to the emergence of
candidiasis as a major ailment, today afflicting half our womenfolk. The
total incidence and relative frequency of vaginal candidiasis have increased
more than two-fold since the late 1960's.

There are a lot of synthetic alternatives for yeast, Nystatin, which is
effective in mild cases. But Murray and Pizzorno suggest that garlic is more
effective than Nystatin. I'd like to see the results of comparative heads-on
trials between garlic, Nystatin and spicebush extracts. I'd like to see
spicebush extracts compared also to Terazol, which reportedly leads to
recovery of 95% of patients within three days. I'd like to see it compared
with butacoconazole (Femstat), clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin), ketoconazole
(Nizoral) and miconazole (Monistat), all reportedly with an 80-90% cure
rate. But the Graedons, after listing the latter four, reiterate the
anecdote of the lady who had wasted $2,000 in office fees and medication,
when a GP prescribed douching three times a day with 2 tablespoons vinegar
in a quart of water (Graedons, 1991). That solved her $2,000 problem.

Studying 54 plant species for antimicrobial effects, Heisey and Gorham
(1992; Letts. Appl. Microbiol. 14: 136-9.) found that extract of stem bark
of Lindera benzoin ("spicebush") strongly inhibited yeast (Candida
albicans), much better than any of the other 53 species. (Walnut husks also
showed some activity.). Now if vinegar could have saved that lady $2,000,
might not a vinegar extract of spicebush bark and garlic be even better.
Spicebush is best of the 54 studied. Garlic is reportedly better than
Nystatin. I suspect that our mixture might be as safe and efficacious as any
of the drugs names above, but we'll never known.

You've seen the flurry of ads for expensive over-the-counter "remedies" for
yeast. "See your doctor if you're not sure. But if you're sure you have
yeast, use our brand." Ten years ago, my doctor told me you couldn't be sure
without identification of the microorganisms involved. I doubt that has
changed. Our FDA has become more relaxed in this regard. But if you started
selling spicebush/garlic/vinegar for yeast, you'd be breaking the law, and
the FDA might get you. But they won't bother those OTC drugs because they
have been proven safe and effective, to the FDA's satisfaction, apparently.
Are they more or less safe and efficacious than spicebush/garlic/vinegar? I
don't know. You don't know. The FDA doesn't know. The drug companies and
physicians don't know.

I want the best medicine for myself and my family. But nobody is going to
invest $231 million to prove that spicebush/garlic/vinegar is safe and
efficacious for vaginal candidiasis. Hence we'll never know. Unless somehow,
we convince some influential congressperson that no new drug for candidiasis
should be permitted unless it is compared, not only to placebo, but to the
best herbal alternative (s) as well. If the herbal alternative works safely,
the world should know if. More than two-thirds of the world's poipulation
and nearly a third of Americans can no longer afford the high-tech synthetic
options. And their cost is going up at a much higher rate than other
segments of our economy. So fewer and fewer of us can afford the modern
pharmaceutical. And there's no governmental or private incentive to
investigate the cheap herbal alternatives, that may be as safe and
efficacious.