[MPWG] [APWG] Microstegium (stiltgass) disease

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jun 15 08:27:12 CDT 2012

Congratulations to you, Luke, for unlocking this fungal mystery! And to
our Crummies Creek (WV) colleague, Russ Richardson, who really took the
initiative to explore this strange new disease. I hope that the
connections you make on these lists will provide you with more study
material to better understand the ecology and ecological impacts of this
pathogen.

As you may recall, one of my biggest concerns is whether this fungus is
able to infect the native species around it (esp. the understory).
Appalachia supports a number of important non-timber forest products
(NTFPs) - some of which may be imperiled in parts of their range. These
NTFPs are often harvested from the wild for local and commercial
consumption and are an important source of income to local economies. So,
whatever you can do to make sure that aspect stays on your research radar
screen would be appreciated.  Certainly you might find knowledgable
contacts on these lists at other universities that may be able to
collaborate with you or compliment the work you are doing.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Thank you,
Patricia

(Pardon cross-postings, but this issue really spans the gap between the
Alien and Medicinal Plant Working Groups).

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.

<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs

"S. Luke Flory" <sflory at indiana.edu>
Sent by: apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
06/15/2012 09:10 AM

"MIPN at yahoogroups.com" <MIPN at yahoogroups.com>,
"APWG at lists.plantconservation.org" <APWG at lists.plantconservation.org>
cc

Subject
[APWG] Microstegium (stiltgass) disease

Hi folks,

As many of you are aware populations of Microstegium throughout the
invaded range in the eastern US have been exhibiting disease symptoms. We
have identified the responsible pathogens as two new, undescribed species
of fungi in the genus Bipolaris. Furthermore, we have recently shown that
these pathogens are having significant effects on the growth and
reproduction of Mv. More information in publications on my web site
(florylab.com). We are currently investigating the relationship between
the age and size of invasions and pathogen occurrence, and the ecological
effects of disease on Mv populations and co-occurring native species. To
accomplish these goals it would be very helpful to have fresh samples of
diseased plants from across the range of Mv invasions.

If you are willing to collect diseased samples of Mv from your area please
contact me and I will send a sampling protocol. We will pay shipping via
FedEx.

Thanks in advance. The community of land managers and researchers on this
list has been very helpful in research efforts in the past and I think it
represents a great example of the potential collaboration between managers
and researchers. For example, we have published two papers on the
differences between invasive and native populations of Mv using samples
collected in part through contacts made on this list.

Luke

Disclaimer
Any requests, advice or opinions posted to this list reflect ONLY the
opinion of the individual posting the message.