[MPWG] Cultivation of blue and black cohosh

Tom Kaye kayet at peak.org
Tue Feb 3 11:42:13 CST 2004

Dear Michael et al.,
Cultivation of a western species of black cohosh (Cimicifuga elata, = Actea
elata, a.k.a. tall bugbane) is straightforward -- the biggest difficulty is
seed germination.  The seeds possess epicotyl dormancy, which, in their
case, is broken by 3-6 weeks of warm (~20 C) stratification followed by cold
conditions (5 C).  The seeds usually germinate in the cold.  Once
germinated, they may be potted in standard potting soil.  Plants achieve a
decent size ( 3-6 true leaves, 20-30 cm tall) in their first year when grown
in gallon pots.

Information on propagation protocols for this species can be found in a
report on our web site at http://www.appliedeco.org/reports.html#cimicifuga.
Look for this title:

Kaye, T.N. 2001. Propagation and population re-establishment for tall
bugbane (Cimicifuga elata) on the Salem District, BLM. Institute for Applied
Ecology, Corvallis, Oregon and USDI Bureau of Land Management, Salem
District.

Other papers at this web site deal with the species' life history and
response to forest diturbance.

I hope this information helps.  Cheers,

Tom