[RWG] 98% of NM native grass species may go extinct in next 100years

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Nov 13 15:45:41 CST 2012

All:

Dremann is certainly right to be concerned about the future of cow-burnt
lands, and while this phenomenon was quite evident well before 1912, there
can be little question that the once-lush grasslands of what is now New
Mexico continue to degrade. But while I very much appreciate his sentiments,
I'm not so sure about his suggestions concerning the solution to the
problem.

I suggest that it will do little good to add nutrients (expensive), for
example, until the disturbance is stopped. I'm not up to date on the
research, or, for that matter, on its detailed history, but the
inherent/latent recovery potential could most economically be demonstrated
by the creation of exclusion plots (preferably some pretty large ones) on an
number of cow-burnt sites. The effects of adding nutrients also could be
tested, and the complexity and expense of studies of increasing complexity
are endless.

While greenhouse or pot experiments do have some utility for certain
questions, exclusion plots can often demonstrate all one needs to know with
respect to ecosystem recovery potential. It is quite possible that data
already exist, as the concept of exclusion plots is far from new--I've
forgotten (if I ever knew) when or where the first exclusion plots were
first used, but I seem to recall reading about some done in the 1930's.

In other words, if this problem is to be attacked with any degree of
sincerity, a literature review should be the first step--perhaps a grant
could be secured for that purpose. Were I a member of any grant review
committee (not gonna happen), I would not vote in favor of any study that
did not demonstrate fairly complete familiarity of the state of current
knowledge (and erroneous presumption)--not one thin dime. I would vote for
study quality over study quantity every time.

I especially appreciate Dremann's mention of the absence of the soil crust
community, as this complex of organisms is commonly ignored, even in
ecological studies, but the role of fungi, including both mycorrhizal
associations as well as parasites, hemiparasites, saprophytes, and  other
"minor" elements of ecosystems should not be ignored, particularly their
role in serving as, and developers of, nutrient pathways.

There is much work to be done, but there is no need for it to be overdone.
Just stopping the trampling and grazing of these fragile systems until their
original condition is restored, then restoring the original, indigenous
ungulates and other animals that were once part of the energy cycle, then
"harvesting" actual surpluses, could help fit so-called Homo sapiens back
into the system without degrading it ever again. But without removal of the
factors which degrade the systems, other "restoration" efforts will be
futile and wasteful (of the systems which contributed the necessary
propagules, for example--seed-collecting from the wild, for example.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

WT