[RWG] [APWG] Natural herbicides makes projects cheaper, quicker and easier

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 16 20:30:28 CDT 2011

APWG & RWG Forums:

I know that smokin' weed can be a good pain-killer, but that doesn't make
every claim about every herb valid. I could steep some rosemary in olive oil
and sell it to a few people in a crowd if I were arrogant enough to call
myself an expert, but that wouldn't keep me from committing fraud. Many
years ago, I visited Timothy Leary's mountain hide-out; the kid whose Dad
had popped for the place had a bucketful of various herbs, Jimson weed among
them. I mentioned that it was poison; the kid said that he knew how to
handle dosage--he had read how the Indians had used it in sweat-lodges. I
told him that a lot of Indians were carried feet-first out of sweat-lodges
too. Later, a girl-believer's body was found floating--in the pond.

A certain number of cases of "medicinal" plant use are bound to appear to be
effective, but that does not demonstrate causality--the "patient" can heal
spontaneously, the placebo effect can take hold, or other causes can be
involved. The same can be said about all sorts of incantations and
ceremonies.

Personally, I do believe that all sorts of organisms do have influences on
other organisms. Dremann may well be proved to be right (and I do not
question his observations). What I do question is the lack of specific
evidence regarding causes.

While I do not doubt for a second that piling straw of indigenous grasses is
a better practice than using crop and other alien straw, I do not believe
that a claim of allelopathic action, aside from the physical effects such as
shading and temperature alteration can be eliminated as causes for weed
suppression. I am concerned about the practice because of its potential for
suppressing emerging indigenous species, and, by so doing, create the
potential for creating conditions that could promote a shift in species
composition, including weedy species.

I am not against using straw or other elements for habitat modification--I
have used bigger piles of branches (in patches) in my practice in the past,
but I am leery of the uniform placement of any sort of "mulch" in the
context of ecosystem restoration--if you want diversity of flora and fauna,
heterogeneous surfaces are better than homogeneous ones. I would like to see
Dremann vary the kind of placement used, such as punching the straw into the
soil surface and variations in thickness, compared with alternative
techniques over several years.

In any case, I wish Dremann well. I admire his energetic work and
enthusiasm, and hope that the results of his research are published in a
well-edited and peer-reviewed journal; this would go a long way toward
avoiding questions about methods and analysis and enhance his credibility.

WT