[RWG] [APWG] LI pine barrens preserved? Do not worry about checkerboard

Karen Blumer growingwild at optonline.net
Tue Oct 18 15:34:38 CDT 2011

Dear Craig et. al.,

	Yes. The 50,000 acres are a legislatively designated (New York State)
"core" pine barrens preserved area, carved out of an original 100,000
pine barrens area, the rest of which, sadly enough, became a
"CGA" (Compatible Growth Area). Although 100,000 acres sounds large,
it actually excluded thousands other areas of true pine barrens on
Long Island.

	The fifty thousand acre Core is in remarkably good original
condition, minus a few inholdings here and there. Further, even when
highly disturbed, this barrens ecosystem has a remarkable ability to
return to the original. Witness a 100-acre portion of a 150-acre site
destined to become a regional mall. An environmental group, The Open
Space Council, stopped the project through the courts a couple of
decades ago, but the developer, one of Long Island's biggest, even
knowing that his case was in the Appellate Court, flagrantly bulldozed
down one hundred acres of it. Mercifully he did not remove any of the
soils so what we have is a perfect laboratory. The entire site has
returned to a 99.9% native pine barrens over the past twenty years
and, despite the abundance of invasives everywhere on the Island, none
have gotten a toehold onto the site except in the barest of spots
along the edges. It may be the high acidity of the soil environment or
other reasons, but something in the pine barrens negotiates toward the
original.

	I have discussed with the Pine Barrens Commission, having
jurisdiction over the legislated lands, when there is a vegetation
violation or a site restoration needed, to allow pine barrens sites to
restore themselves by simply removing all non-natives under the
watchful eye of an agent or ecologist knowledgeable about plant
species, or a policy to at least do so. This would be an alternative
to requiring plantings, which are expensive, fossil fuel demanding,
and often an ecological disaster. There is still much work to be done.

	Also, I should mention, I am about to publish a book on LI native
plants which has a sizable section and emphasis on restoration ecology
the way it should be done: by planting nothing and using knowledgeable
techniques to insure habitat self-restoration. I call the effort "The
Challenge" and already have a surprising number of individual
homeowners, businesses, agencies, NGOs, and municipalities who are
taking the Challenge by designating part of their gardens, properties
and preserves for habitat self-restoration under their own careful eye
after training by my program. We will soon have a tracery of landscape
weavings connecting one another to regional forests and fields of
local genotypes derived from their own adaptation and competition, a
veritable re-connected tableau. Possibly even connecting the network
of ninety-nine percenters?

	If you get the 99% biota preserves going, we may even have a program
for the connectors well in place -- at least on Long Island. We should
stay in touch; I may want to publish the 99% solution concept in the
book. We have time. I am looking at an early 2012 date.

Karen

Karen Blumer
Author, LI Native Plants for Landscaping: A Source Book
    2011 -- make that 2012! -- Revision

Growing Wild Publications
15 Dickerson Drive
Shoreham, NY 11786