[RWG] NEWS: Reid Thanks BLM For Moving Ahead With Seed Warehouse

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Dec 9 11:50:29 CST 2009

http://www.reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_120109_seedwarehouse.cfm

Reid Thanks BLM For Moving Ahead With Seed Warehouse

Facility crucial for restoring wildlife habitat across Nevada

December 1, 2009

Washington, D.C. -- Nevada Senator Harry Reid today made the following
statement on the Bureau of Land Management.s process of constructing a
regional seed warehouse in Ely.

"Nevada has faced some tremendous fires in recent years.  These burns have
destroyed critical sage grouse and mule deer habitat and allowed invasive
weeds to spread.  It is essential that we get a better handle on large
fires and that we aggressively tend to our public lands once fires are put
out.  That is why I asked then-Secretary of Interior Dirk Kempthorne to
put a major seed facility in Nevada.  The Bureau of Land Management is now
moving ahead with the planning and construction of a 1 million pound seed
warehouse in Ely.  This new facility will give land managers ready access
to the native seed supplies they need to restore and protect rangelands
and vital wildlife habitat across the state.  I thank the BLM for their
hard work in moving this process along."

                                   # # #