[RWG] Confluence pics., points for vegetation Megatransects

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Mon Aug 24 16:58:08 CDT 2009

Dear All,

The http://www.confluence.org project has just given me permission to use
their photos, to string together as photo points for a huge ecosystem or
vegetation Megatransect, that you can see an example of at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/europe_africa_megatransect.html

My sample Megatransect goes from France to tropical Africa, as close to
the Greenwich zero meridian as possible, and each photo was taken exactly
where each degree of latitude and longitude intersect.

The Confluence project, could become extremely valuable for botanists and
ecologists, for studying the really big picture regarding native
vegetation, ecosystems, and trends in change, once you have the first set
of photos from the confluence points.

The botanical similarities are striking. For example, the photo from Spain
from 39 deg. north, looks almost exactly like our oak woodlands from 39
deg. north.  And the picture from Morocco at 33 north looks just like
parts of our Mojave desert in April at 33 degrees north.

---PS to RWC List---There has been a whole lot of discussion about
Ecological Restoration on the APWG list for August, that you might be
interested in if you do not already subscribe to that list.  The August
digest by thread can be found at
http://lists.plantconservation.org/pipermail/apwg_lists.plantconservation.org/2009-August/thread.html

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333