[RWG] Ecosystem Restoration Grassland CA Nasella species Re: Wildland fires, exotics and replanting natives

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Dec 1 23:40:57 CST 2008

Dear All,

Thanks to Craig for a most interesting post. I share his concerns about the invasion of alien annual weedy grasses and forbs into indigenous grasslands and other habitats. I quite agree with him that alien weeds worsen the fire hazard, interfere with indigenous plant recovery, and also am concerned about their effect upon soil moisture and groundwater recharge and streamflow (and thus their short- and long-term effects upon ecosystems, both on the site and elsewhere within the watershed).

Please tell me where there is(are) one (or more) site(s) where direct seeding of native bunchgrass has produced a reasonably good  stand. I'd like to have a look at them and learn a little about their history.

I am not implying that there are none, but it has been my observation that such seeding rarely produces a satisfactory stand, and is potentially infeasible due to the quantity of seed required and the potential for adverse effects on native stands used for collection sites.* I would like to know what the best ratio of seed to mature plants that has ever been achieved is. For example, a bunchgrass that counts at about 160,000 seeds per pound should produce how many plants per acre? Given the best survivorship curve that results in a stand that increases rather than decreases, how many pounds of seed per acre would be required? How many plants per acre are optimal for a stable stand population? How many acres would be seeded? What would be the effects of seed collection on the native stands from which the seeds are harvested? Should seed collections be limited on native stands? If commercial growers are growing native bunchgrass seed as a crop, what is the annual production? How would that compare with the number of acres to be seeded? What method of seeding is envisioned? What are the habitat requirements and characteristics of successfully seeded stands? What are the specific objectives of the program (e.g., number of grass plants per acre, number of other species per acre)?

I am all for restoring the indigenous grasslands, but I am interested in how well the proposed program's numbers compare to the objective and the effects upon native stand reproduction when wildland collections are the source of seed. I do not object to wild seed collecting unless it is so severe that it limits natural stand replacement and/or natural dispersal into nearby degraded habitats. I am concerned that large-scale seed collection could backfire on the native seed collection industry if, for example, and EIR had to be filed for each collection site or operation. I believe there are more efficient and effective ways to restore degraded native grasslands that are more feasible, practical, cost-effective, and environmentally sustainable than direct seeding.

Thank you for answering my questions. I will appreciate all comments and answers.

WT

*An interesting paper is An Analysis of Ecological Factors Limiting the Distribution of a Group of Stipa pulchra Associations Within the Foothill Woodland of California   (Robinson, R.H. 1968). PhD Thesis, University of Oklahoma