[RWG] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase fires

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Oct 12 22:02:42 CDT 2007

Invasive plants like the Sahara mustard are quite likely to be a
factor in wildfires, as they fill spaces between widely-scattered
shrubs, and climate change will no doubt affect fire behavior, but I
yearn for more evidence and less opinion and conjecture regarding
such sweeping conclusions.  It makes for good press, but what is
needed is good research and solid data.  Fires have, and will
continue to be, a factor in Great Basin ecosystems, but the real
question is what precisely is the connection between the data and the
conclusions, and what is the marginal difference.  Sensationalism
destroys credibility, and "we" need credibility more than ever in
these truly pivotal times.

WT