[RWG] Thoughts on some activities for 2007/08

Greg_Eckert at nps.gov Greg_Eckert at nps.gov
Fri Mar 16 15:44:37 CDT 2007

Greetings,

I'd like to suggest some ideas for some RWG activities  - requests for your
response are in blue

As you saw from my previous email, SERI has launched the Global Restoration
Network

http://www.globalrestorationnetwork.org/

I have been waiting for this to go in anticipation of initiating a
discussion with you about updating our current Restoration Group website.
I'd like to see a complete redesign of this site, and I can support this
with my current budget.  The issue is that I'd like to see the RWG site
complement existing sites, particularly SERI's 2 sites.

so, I recommend this:

Please send suggestions to me with
      1.  what you like about our current site
      2. what is not helpful
      3. what you need to be able to access that you cannot access on other
sites
      4. other sites that the PCA-RWG site should complement, and not
duplicate

Lets also begin a discussion of what activities we, as a working group,
could do to advance the cause of the PCA.

One thing I believe doesn't exist is a repository for restoration
guidelines, from around the "network" of the PCA.  I can see hosting a good
ol' hardcopy of anything folks can dig up, as well as linking electronic
copies on the RWG site.  Thoughts?

Another thing I'll recommend strongly to agency PCA liaisons is to get me
language from their pertinent authorities that direct restoration, and as
applicable, focus on plants (recall that I'd like to develop this group in
the direction of ecosystem restoration, with an emphasis on plants).  I
will also request of the PCA liaisons for links to any restoration granting
programs that the non-federal cooperators can tap into.

I'd like to revisit the list serve.  It doesn't seem to be used a whole lot
(particularly because many messages go out on the general PCA listserve).
An option could be to mimic The Nature Conservancy Weed program's
newsletter uses a moderator to circulate questions, announcements and
highlights of some new research.       Please send your responses to these
thoughts/points, above.

Here in my program, I am supporting the development of guidelines on native
plant material selection, and a review of carbohydrate amendments to soil
to immobilize available nitrogen.     Are any other programs developing any
guidelines so others will know where collaborative opportunities exist, or
potential for duplication?

Last, some time ago, I suggested a re-write of the Restoration Working
Group Agenda.  At this time, it might be better to hear from folks as to
what you as an individual would like to see out of the RWG, and the role
you'd like to take in the RWG.

Thanks,
I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Greg

Gregory E. Eckert, PhD             Program Manager
Ecosystem Management and Restoration
Natural Resource Program Center   National Park Service
#200           1201 Oakridge Drive     Fort Collins,CO  80525
voice 970/225-3594   fax  970/225-3585    greg_eckert at nps.gov