[RWG] ECOSYSTEM Dynamics of disturbance and recovery Megatransects Brassica tournfortii etc. Re: Any Ecological Megatransect, is extremely valuable?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 15 21:22:18 CDT 2006

Craig and Forums:

Oops!  I left out an "if" in the offending paragraph.  My tendency
toward irony has got me into trouble again.  Note the "quotes."  I
quite agree with you.  I was referring to my own work, not yours.  I
meant that "real" scientists don't like anything that varies from
their uptight version of what's "proper."  I both agree and disagree
with them.  Some, of course, are more perceptive.  As to 24K gold,
it's in the eye of the holder.

I have done some "barnyard" transects along highways with a tape
recorder keyed to mileposts and single species of interest and
general observations, but never got around to writing them up;
they're "worthless" as "real" scientific research anyway. I hope you
have, or will, set a standard of methodology so others can take this
up and the research will be repeatable and statistically respectable.
Even IF it ain't the latter, it should be useful as a "changing mile"
type record.

You are an even bigger hero than I realized!  I offered to do a
demonstration of the effectiveness of aerial photography in
mapping/tracking the "progress" of B. tournfortii a year or two ago,
but my offer was ignored by CAL-IPC and the state park official I
contacted.  This true invader is popping up in a lot of small
populations that could be extirpated, but you can expect a continued
problem because it's distributed by vehicles.  The idea behind the
areal survey is that you can map "progress" year-by-year and are not
restricted to the roads, as well as being more complete.  The best
time is when the desert first "greens up" and the dried mustard stems
are still tan-colored.  At least that's the theory I wanted to
test.  The mustard does, however, exist in areas where the it can't
be surveyed that way (scattered stands and individuals that remain
green, such as in mesic areas), and good old-fashioned road- or
foot-work is essential.  It's being dispersed along roadways, but
it's marching inexorably across the deserts, such as in Anza-Borrego
State Park.  It travels slowly by itself, but when you add the tires
of off-road vehicles and yes, even the feet of desert lovers, its
march accelerates.

Where are you depositing your records?  Mine are just scribbled in
notebooks, squirreled away in some box somewhere.

I hereby appoint (or is it anoint?) you King of the Megatransect and
authorize you to contact National Geographic.  I know an
ecologist-photographer who works for them, and if you would like to
put together a good pitch, I'll ask him what he thinks of it the next
time I see him.  Yes, it would wonderful to have a centralized
integrated system.  Even if the points aren't random or perfectly
regular, they could accumulate over time.  Preferably, however, there
would be at least some locations that would be pinned to solid
locations like mile-posts.  Odometers simply are not accurate enough,
and locating photo points from photographs simply takes too much time
and is subject to inaccuracy.  However, this is where standardization
of procedures could help a lot.

WT