[RWG] Ecology Vegetation surveys and mapping Releve methodology CNPS Megatransect Dremann Re: New map of roadside weeds & natives from Jackpot to Wells, Nevada Re: Ecology Roadside Vegetation surveys methods & a survey per State?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Nov 7 18:05:40 CST 2006

Craig:

Thank you for the clarifications, which are so noted.  I now
understand that you are using mileposts for transect points and I am
satisfied with that.

I do wonder, however, whether or not your data collection procedures
will be considered useful or even acceptable by your peers, but I
must admit that this observation about your work may be another
artifact of my ignorance of your exact procedures.  You are obviously
expending a huge amount of energy and heart on your project, and I
quite agree that it would be worthwhile to do more of it on a wider
scale.  If your goal is to do it all yourself, you can, of course, do
it any way you like.  If, on the other hand, you want to enlist the
aid of other ecologists, I think now is the time to subject your
methods to peer review to ensure broad cooperation and even financial
support.  It would be a shame for you to do all that work without
taking full advantage of all the opportunities that many decades of
ecological research experience affords.

May I suggest that you write a paper for the Ecological Society of
America's blog or listserv describing your research and requesting a
critical review?  That way, you will have a much better chance of the
eventual publication of your monograph, and I would hope, many, many
additions to it in the coming years.  My concern is that if you
continue with your present methodology, which has many good features,
you run the risk of your project being only a cry in the
wilderness--as it were.  By this I am not suggesting that you turn
over control to anyone else; only that you have the benefit of all
that experience.  You can expect both useful and perhaps even rude
comments, but the latter can simply be ignored.

For what it might be worth (probably nothing) I would not follow all
of your procedures, primarily because they are not quantitative where
they could easily be so.  Terms like "scrappy remains present," for
example, and "decent shape" cry out for a clear basis for their definition.

As to your last two questions, my answer is yes, certainly, and I
though I had made that clear in all my previous responses.

Again, I think your work will be valuable as it is, but with a little
modification it could be so much more.  If I have missed something I
should have caught, or if I am presuming too much due to ignorance of
details you have not revealed, please correct me.

Best,
WT