[RWG] Ecology Vegetation surveys and mapping Releve methodology CNPS Megatransect Dremann Re: New map of roadside weeds & natives from Jackpot to Wells, Nevada

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Nov 7 01:31:54 CST 2006

Dear Craig,

This is most interesting, and shows a lot of
work. I have a few suggestions, based on what you
have submitted. I full well realize that this is
more than I have done, or, as far as I know,
anyone else has done, and if you can't follow my
suggestions, do continue to do what you've been doing.

Please try to be precise in at least some
location information, such as providing mile-post
markers or other permanent geographical
identification that indicates the boundaries
between your classifications. Please also state
your methodology for determining (estimating)
plant population, diversity, and density
relationships or “cover,” perhaps using some fast
and simple but accepted technique like
Braun-Blanquet/relevé; for example, the technique
used by the California Native Plant Society--see,
for example, http://www.cnps.org/archives/forms/releve.pdf.

These two things should make you research
acceptable for publication in a journal, and
establish a methodology for other to follow. Most
importantly, it will compound the value of the
very important work you are doing.

Best,
WT