[RWG] ECOLOGY Restoration and Population Re: Grasses--why used for 1997 Megatransect?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Nov 2 17:54:05 CST 2006

Craig and friends:

Since I can't find my original message, I don't remember what kind of
contusion to which I jumped, but at least now there is no confusion
on my part.

Since this trip was primarily for my wife's entertainment, I had no
time for more than casual observations. I am also unfamiliar with
many of the grasses in that region, so would have to key them out
(always a laborious task for me as a non-taxonomist, but a very fussy
guy about intra-specific variation and actual species distinctions).

While I do agree that indigenous grasses are a good indicator of
ecosystem health, I think cryptobiotic/cryptogamic associations are
an even more profound, if impractical one.  I saw many stands in
various states of "preservation" or "recovery," but as microscopy was
my Achilles' heel in botany, I couldn't get much past "some kinda
cyanobacterium or moss or lichen" and perhaps some kinda algae."  As
some of the keys almost require a dissecting microscope and
destructive collecting even for the grasses, I reckon the best I can
do is to get a book with picchurs and hope I don't Agropyron the
Leymus or vice-versa.

I hope to get up to Oregon this winter and suppose I could paw
through the snow for what hay may be left, I reckon I'll have to wait
'till early spring and a planned trip to Alaska.  Again, my
observations will be casual and ecological.  I hope to at least be
able to tell aliens from indigenous species and photograph some.

On your observations regarding grasses as at least a component of the
"understory," I consider some grasslands to be a "phase" within a
range of ecosystem changes due to environmental influences such as
fire and other "disturbances."  It seems to me that grading, for
example, tends to favor alien species, while fire favors indigenous
species.  It has been suggested (forgot the reference) that
resistance to invasion is one of the key characteristics of an
ecosystem in dynamic equilibrium, and, as such, is a measure of the
success of an ecosystem restoration project.  I have used that as a
standard in my own work at least, for the past 35 years or so, first
unwittingly, then "wittingly."  Of course, little things like species
diversity are important too, but I have found that when the alien
species diminish to near zero on a restoration project, diversity
will be at its peak, at least for the site conditions remaining
following disturbance and "restoration" activity.  Smoke came out of
my ears whilst passing by some large signs proclaiming mine spoil
"restoration" on my recent trip through the intermountain west and southwest.

Best,
WT