[RWG] "Native plant" definitions ?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Jun 29 13:55:56 CDT 2006

All:

It is characteristic of authoritarian cultural hierarchies to insist
upon "definitive" definitions. But reality consists of change and variation.

Let's face it--there is one ecosystem, Earth.  And maybe "the
universe," whatever that is.  But as a "practical matter" we want
complex systems to behave in predictable ways--our ways.  Such is the
arrogance of Homo sap.

"Native" is a kind of irony.  The word comes from the Latin,
"nativus," meaning "born."  As an individual, I am a "native"
Californian because I was born in California.  But I grew up in
Texas, where my father was "native," whose grandmother was "native"
to North Carolina, whose mother was born there too, but was a
"native" Cherokee, whose ancestors came to North America via the
Bering Strait, no doubt with a string of individuals "native" to
numerous places in between.  At one time in the history of this chain
of invasion, each individual who stayed in the same place in which
she was born was "native" to that place.  But when they moved into
new habitats they became alien invaders.  I am "native" to the entity
called the State of California, but my father was an alien, as were,
at one time or another, all of his ancestors, save, perhaps, in some
philosophical sense, some hominid in Africa, from which my species
dispersed.  I can only be fairly certain that I am native to the
earth, and not necessarily alien to the rest of existence, in some
obscure philosophical sense.

With most plants, their ability to move from one habitat to another
is limited.  This does not, however, keep them from
"trying."  Propagules disperse by wind, by wing, by foot, hitching a
"ride" in feathers, guts, and by determined horticulturists.  When
they find a habitat congenial to their growth and reproduction, they
"put down roots."  Do they become "native" when their progeny
continue to reproduce and expand their populations in the new habitat
where they did not exist before?  This is an epistemological question
which must be "begged" in some way that fits, or is at least
expedient to, our chosen context.

Our context is history-dependent.  Therefore, a "native" plant is one
that we know preceded us--its lineage, in the habitat at issue, is
pre-historic.  Easy, eh?  No?

Respectfully submitted,
WT