[RWG] "Native plant" definitions of government agencies?

Larry Stritch lstritch at fs.fed.us
Tue Jun 27 13:03:15 CDT 2006

Hi Craig,

You will need to submit your comment and anyone else that received your
e-mail will need to submit their comment(s) according to the directions in
the Federal Register Notice.  A personal e-mail to me can not become part
of the offical record for purposes of commenting on the proposed policy.

I have attached a copy of the FR notice and the url where the proposed
policy is posted:

http://www.fs.fed.us/rangelands/whoweare/documents/FSM2070_Final_2_062905.pdf

(See attached file: NPMFR.pdf)

Thanks.

Larry

Lawrence R. Stritch, Ph.D.
National Botanist
USDA Forest Service - WO
Range Staff, 3S
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington DC 20250
Phone 202-205-1279

             Craig Dremann
             <craig at ecoseeds.c
             Sent by:                  apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
             rwg-bounces at lists                                          cc
             .plantconservatio         rwg at lists.plantconservation.org
             n.org                                                 Subject
                                       [RWG] "Native plant" definitions of
                                       government agencies?
             06/27/2006 12:06
             PM

Dear All,

Government land management agencies write manuals and definitions for
the work they do.

The US Forest Service manual has a definition for "native plants", to
differentiate the native plants from the exotic plants.

Andrew Kratz, a Forest Service Regional Botanist in Colorado and I were
having a discussion about the Forest Service’s current definition of
“native plant”, which follows:

“All indigenous, terrestrial, and aquatic plant species that evolved
naturally in an ecosystem." (FSM 2070.5)

Unfortunately, at first glance, the sentence looks correct, but has
numerous errors in it.   We are suggesting a rewrite, as follows:

"The indigenous plant species of a particular area, both aquatic and
terrestrial, that are natural members of the local ecosystem."

Are there any other government agency definitions of “native plant” out
there?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333