[RWG] RWG Action Items

Plant Conservation plant at plantconservation.org
Tue Jan 11 09:08:59 CST 2005

>From the RWG Chair:

Dear PCA RWGers,

If you haven't looked before, RWG has had an Action Agenda listed on
its website for some time.  I couldn't find any of the original
authors, and in looking at it see 2 things:

Some items should be changed
The whole agenda is overwhelming

I have taken a crack at editing the Action Agenda but my comments and
suggestions are meant to get a discussion going about how we should be
advancing restoration of native plants.

I have also added a list of items that I believe we can accomplish in
the short term , without many resources, save our spare time.

I propose one item, Restoration Guidance related to weed infested
sites, that comes with options.  The Interagency Invasive Species
Council (ISC) is looking for support with restoration goals.  We
offered PCA's support but have received lukewarm response.
Nevertheless, this is a product we should pursue, and we certainly need
it in the Park Service.
Now, ISC wants general restoration guidelines for all invasive species,
plants, animals, fungi, the works!  This is beyond PCA's focus on
plants, but to be honest,
1.  I can see our group evolving to an Ecological Restoration Group,
with emphasis on, but not limited to, plants
2.  General restoration guidelines could apply to all groups.  I
envision a general guideline document, and then a series of
accompanying documents with techniques, etc that are specific to
plants, then fungal diseases, then non-native predators, other animals,
etc etc

So, that is one set of options.  The other set is how to get this done.
  One thought is that we form a sub-group to do this.  Another is that
we pool resources and contract with experts to write this with our
review and comment.  I believe that PCA uses both approaches.  I could
poll some folks I know who could contribute to this to get a rough idea
of costs to produce.  We could deal with publishing later, or let ISC
that they could fund publication.

Speaking of sub-groups, as I see responses to these messages, we'll
probably want to consider forming smaller groups to move some RWG
components ahead.

This is all I have right now.  I look forward to comments.  What I may
try to do is collect them and present them back to all of you, maybe in
a Delphi form where responses are anonymous.

Hope this finds you all well.

Sincerely,

Greg